A senior scooter problem...

Rosedala

Joined Mar 16, 2014
Hello, not sure if I'm in the proper forum here, but a lady friend of mine (in her 80s, as I am too...) who doesn't have a computer, needs help as follows:

She bought a good 2nd hand scooter (brand name: "Rally", model: Mobility Pride SC151, 3 wheeler) which came with an Owner's Manual. She used it for sometime, but then it stopped working. Another friend of hers found a scooter repair man in the internet who sold her and installed a motor for $125 cash. The scooter worked for 4 days then it stopped again. When she contacted him again, he said "buy another motor"!!! :(

I appeal to this forum to kindly let me know if anyone knows of an honest and competent scooter repair person in NYC please? She lives in west midtown Manhattan .

Hoping to hear from someone, I anticipate my deep thanks! :) Rosedala

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I really have to question a company like Pride Mobility that has no information on a repair or service procedure on their website but many different tid-bits about how to pay for your scooter, how to fill out insurance forms and how to report companies that are offering scooters below the Manufacturer's Advertised Price.

http://www.pridemobility.com/resourcecenter/index.asp

If your friend needs a scooter, have her doctor write a prescription and have Medicare pay for it like everyone else. No reason an 80-something needs to sit on her apartment floor and take apart her own wheelchair to see if she can get it to work.

Rosedala

Joined Mar 16, 2014
Thanks so very much GoferT and antonv. Good suggestion to for her to get it through Medicare. I'll tell her to do that. I'll also tell her to try to reset the button in the freewheel lever...if she can find it! lol!

Thanks again for your good suggestions! Rosedala