A riddle

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Oh dear! A slip of the finger created a premature post. Can't see how to kill it off, so maybe a moderator might like to remove it?

If not, I might think of something more sensible to say later on. Right now though, I need to go away and do something else.

Sorry about that.

Adjuster

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm going to leave it, to turn it into a learning experience. You can delete your own posts.

Click "Edit"

Click "Delete"

Click "Delete Message"

Click the button on lower right corner "Delete this Message" to confirm.

New users do not have this ability.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Hello Bill,

Thanks, but apparently I can't delete my own original posting: the relevant "push button" is not presented as an option if I try this. It is available to me if I try to edit another posting made on somebody else's thread.

Would this be an anomaly, or part of the intended design of the site? This is no big deal anyhow, but I thought that you might just like to know.

Regards

Adjuster

P.S. I could delete this very post, as up pops the delete button as I come to edit it.

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
That's rather an illogical joke if you think about it. How could I see a post that, if true, would be removed? I have to say however that I do not really get it. As I understand it, politics in general are a barred subject here. Given the general tone of such views of such views as I have seen expressed here, and the locations of a number of prominent members, I can imagine that a reference to that particular individual might be unwelcome, but I imagine you have something more particular in mind.

If this is in reference to some argument that you (or someone that you agree with) have had with the management here, bear in mind that making even a veiled reference to it is probably more trouble than it's worth. You are unlikely to convert anyone new to your point of view (whatever that may be), and could find yourself in deep stuff.

In any case, as a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, a USA political reference would not be the first thing to occur to me if I simply wanted to say something taboo.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It would be safe from me, as I probably wouldn't get it. That would be Dave's dept., or maybe Bertus, since he is somewhat closer.

The mix of Moderators here is truly international, several of them English is not their mother tongue, though you would never know it.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
That's rather an illogical joke if you think about it. How could I see a post that, if true, would be removed? I have to say however that I do not really get it. As I understand it, politics in general are a barred subject here. Given the general tone of such views of such views as I have seen expressed here, and the locations of a number of prominent members, I can imagine that a reference to that particular individual might be unwelcome, but I imagine you have something more particular in mind.
Its a joke because any thread that comes close to even hinting politics is locked or vanishes. I guess it would more of an inside joke.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
An ordinary member (myself included) cannot delete a topic, even if it is their topic and no one else has replied to it yet.

They can only delete [eta] their own [/eta] replies to a thread.

I think that ordinary members [eta] used to be able to [/eta] delete their own topics if there had not been replies - in some previous version of the board software.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
An ordinary member (myself included) cannot delete a topic, even if it is their topic and no one else has replied to it yet.

They can only delete replies to a thread.

I think that ordinary members COULD delete their own topics if there had not been replies - in some previous version of the board software.
And fix the subject line. That seems to be a common issue on all forums of this type.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009

They can only delete replies to a thread.

I think that ordinary members COULD delete their own topics if there had not been replies - in some previous version of the board software.
That is something that can be set specific for each forum and user level. e.g. Only Senior Members can delete, rename, and/or close topics in the Off Topic forum, nobody's post counts in Off-Topic, but everywhere else, a mod needs to change things.

Sending an IM to an online mod usually does the trick. They are friendly types. (although I may be getting on their nerves by wearing out the report button lately... )