A real Expensive furball

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009

See the little rascal above.
I have a riddle for you.
This dude marked his territory on a real expensive piece of equipment.
It's something everybody use, and something that I fix.

Make a good guess.
And I will tell you a funny story

Attachments

Last edited:

hspalm

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Missing an image here? Unless you are referring to the devil :)

edit: By the way, I am guessing its a household applience, something not too high, a refrigerator!

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Not even close.

A few months back I attended a sharp 40" LCD . It had a back lite issue.
Seems a manufacturing defect, the connector of the CCFL to the inverter started to arc and gave away.
I met these furry rascals there, they had plenty of furry cuties. As I started to work these guys came and sat beside the TV. Really playful bunch

So I jumped all of them.
A few days back they called and the TV just went to standby.
Yesterday I went and checked. When attempting to remove the cover, I saw a liquid drip at the bottom center. I touched and smelled, no odor that I could make out but was sort of oily.
I ask and they seem to know wht it was. There was no way a anything leaked from above. I just wondered and asked that could it be piss.
It was a wild guess that the cat had made an entry at the rear :D

I asked the owner to smell and he said yup, it was that.

Funny, I never that would be the cause and it was way down even though vent holes were there.
Took out the cover and I burst in laughter.
The cat had pissed through the holes on the highly populated DSP assy and on the LCD flex cable. Guess the irony in that.

It had already started to break the solder joints and oxides were forming on IC leads.
I took out the board and brought t to wash, the LCD will be brought too to check the flex cable and inside the panel tool.
Take a look at the board below.

close ups

I do not think it will work cause urine corrosion tends to destroy chips as I have experienced.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I saw a liquid drip at the bottom center. I touched and smelled, no odor that I could make out but was sort of oily.
I have never heard of cat pee that had no smell. :eek:

And, wash your hands! ;)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I was pretty close, it was on the backside instead of top, I didn't figure in for the cat aiming his pee into the vents, I figured it dripped from the top....:rolleyes:

B. Morse
u see a cat cannot get on top of a slim LCD.
But you got it correct:cool:

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008

See the little rascal above.
I have a riddle for you.
This dude marked his territory on a real expensive piece of equipment.
It's something everybody use, and something that I fix.

Make a good guess.
And I will tell you a funny story

As Baxter Black says: "Some people learn by listening, some learn by watching, and some just have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves."

:D

Eric

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
As Baxter Black says: "Some people learn by listening, some learn by watching, and some just have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves."
Have You ever Licked a Lamp Post in Winter. Dumb question of course you have
And by the way let us not it is a copy cat. Then R!f@@ have to come again and fix. The good thing is that even the if the parts may be expensive. So is R!f@@ even cheaper than his fake Chinese Fluke copy:p

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
my fluke ain't cheap and definitely not Chinese. :mad:
I got it from USA.

By the way I am not cheap :cool:

The TV will be here on Sunday

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
my fluke ain't cheap and definitely not Chinese. :mad:
I got it from USA. By the way I am not cheap :cool:
Oh well then. I did not get my Fluke 189 from USA. But from a dizzy service man than left it behind after some service job at my house. I tried to give it back. But the firm went bust. So well finders keepers. It happened for about 6 year ago. But I still send warn thoughts to that service man.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
When you said a "dizzy service man", I though you were saying you whacked him in the head and took it. ;)
To my pain and agony he also left a TDS210 60MHz digital scope. And no I did not whack his head. I did contact the firm. And they said they should send somebody after it. But 5 days later the firm went bust. And nothing happened. So up to this day I have taken care of the items. :D