A question of switches and relays.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yes, as drawn with the relay deenergized and the magnetic reed switch deenergized (no magnetic field the lamp will be lit, If either switch is energized (open) the lamp will extinguish. What effect were you looking for?

Ron

UnisonStereo

Joined May 22, 2020
I want to attach the magnet switch to the door and frame of my vehicle. When the door opens (magnet disconected) I want an LED strip to light. My mistake was buying 10 N.C. magnet switches. I was hoping to just buy a relay to make it work, but I know very VERY little about electricity.
I'm just lost about how the relay will supply current to the light when the magnet is not energized (connected).
I have another diagram that I also think works, but I dont know why any of them would or wouldnt work. Ive coloured the difference orange.20200523_091505.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Just remember something. Most Magnetic Reed switches are designed for low current applications. While for the most part LEDs are low current devices if there is enough LEDs they can add up.

As to switches a NC Reed Switch is Normally Closed and it will open when a magnetic field is induced. Likewise a Normally Closed relay contact is closed and will open when the relay coil is energized. They also make what is called a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) Magnetic reed switch where you have a common and one each normally open and closed terminal. Depending on your LED current you could just use a magnetic reed switch to turn on a relay anytime a door is opened and let the automotive relay handle your LEDs.

Ron