A question for all EE's

torento13

Joined Jul 20, 2009
Hi folks,

First post - I am facing a tough decision that I would like some input on from any EE's or EE students out there. I recently graduated with a BA in Psychology with a bunch of electives in Calculus I and II, as well as Calculus-based Physics I & II. I am considering going back to school to get an Electrical Engineering degree. I have spoken to my academic advisors and the Dean of the program and know the basics of what I need to do in order to get in the MS Electrical Engineering program with a solid GRE score and some leveling courses.

I have some questions regarding this... for those of you who work in the field and have experience, would I be able to find employment in the field with an MSEE with no previous work experience in the field? How do employers generally look at this issue? Would I face discrimination because I have a BA in an unrelated field, even though I have an MSEE? And, also, I have another option other than getting an MSEE. That is, getting a second bachelors degree in EE. This obviously would require more time than the MS but since I am required to take some leveling courses, it might not take too much longer. I have spoken to my school and they are saying I have the freedom of doing what I want to do. What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

-T

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Why don't you like the psychology field? I am asking because my friend is getting his BS in psychology right now. Is there a lack of jobs or did you just lose interest?

I don't think it matters if you have a degree in another field. Many EE's have degrees in business and even MBA's. Its a plus, not a minus. Who knows where you will use it in your life.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Before I jump in with my take on your specific case can I ask: how long is the MSEE as a course of study? Also is it taught or research-based?

I am trying to picture what its equivalent is in the UK system.

Dave