A New Species of Leech Is Discovered Near Washington, D.C.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Since this is under "science", leeches are not fish. They are an invertebrate and a species of worm. Useful critters too ( see: medicinal leeches). For another critter found frequently in Washington that also has a use, consider maggots.

Edit: This comment references a previous post that referred to leeches as fish. That comment seems to have been deleted.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
There are 2 ilks of Taxonomists, Lumpers and Splitters. All the Lumping has been done and now the Splitters sit on the throne of Taxonomy and rule the realm it appears. The highest pinnacle of Biology is to be credited with the discovery of a new Species, no matter how fine of a hair that must be split to achieve approbation.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Another tidbit -I learned that female mosquitoes only suck blood when they are sexually mature because they need the protein to make eggs. This this is why the tiny ones like the ones I find in my shoes in the morning don't bite.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
These guys worked wonders for me in the tropics.
They probably made more money off of those selling them at the gate of the Drive-In Movies when I was a kid in Florida than they did off of the movies. Good ole Organic Pyrethrin (chrysanthemum juice). Which is why we plant chrysanthemums around the yard.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
They probably made more money off of those selling them at the gate of the Drive-In Movies when I was a kid in Florida than they did off of the movies. Good ole Organic Pyrethrin (chrysanthemum juice). Which is why we plant chrysanthemums around the yard.
https://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/201...g-nuclear-technology-to-fight-dengue-mosquito

Experts from the International Atomic Energy Agency or IAEA and WHO have helped Bangladesh draw up a plan to test a nuclear technique to suppress mosquitos spreading dengue fever.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
They started doing that in Florida long ago. Around here they are still spraying, especially the old impounded rice fields down here in the Altamaha delta.