A new 555 IC

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I like the low voltage aspect of them.

Could be useful if the pricing isn't insane, the quotes are for production run quantities.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thanks for the links, interesting stuff.

While operating at 0.9VDC, it isn't that far from a 2VDC 7555, which can go down to 1.5V. They mention driving LEDs and motors, but they didn't mention the output drive current, the biggest bugaboo for older CMOS style 555s. I'll wait for more information before I judge it.

The beginning price for quantity for SX8122 was 36¢, which suggests it will be available at decent prices. However, the link is an advertiser poster, not a data sheet.

The ALD7555 and ALD7556 are available in eight- or 14-pin small-outline IC (SOIC), plastic dual-inline package (DIP), and seramic DIP (CERDIP) options. Prices are $0.96 for the ALD7555 and $1.57 for the ALD7556 in quantities of 100 or more.
This looks a lot more traditional in design features.

Lower voltages are great, but the biggest problem IMO for 7555 is low drive current at low voltages.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
For a datasheet:
http://www.semtech.com/images/datasheet/sx8122.pdf

What a totally unsexy name for a 4 to 10 mA 555-like timer. Besides, how long will 1.2V cells be on the market? I thought if it wasn't "lithium powered" it didn't sell. That is, unless it also has a laser.

John
Odd they didn't create it to have a range of 1-5V instead of 1-2V. That is pretty limiting.

Though for the price, there are a lot of kid toys that would be great to run dead with a single AA battery instead of putting in 2 or 4. Toss the low voltage one into the "too specific" bin.