A modern Pavlov's dog experiment involving my loud neighbor

zeta_no

Joined Jan 20, 2009
Hi to all,

I have a small problem to solve at home and I need a bit of help. I live on a first floor and my new neighbor, who lives on the second floor, decided to built a small workshop directly over my bedroom. Also, the person is working all day long but also during night, like 2, 3 am in the morning. He lets hammer, and other heavy items, falls on the floor. Like if it was not enough, the person walks on his heels. The apartment is very old, so the lamps and canvas on the walls start shaking on every step. My girlfriend and I start to go crazy. We tried to talk to the neighbor, but he ignores our position.

Given the fact that I have a big subwoofer and a good amplifier not in use at home, I though I might return the vibration to his floor.

I would place the sub in my bedroom closet attached to the ceiling and I would use a vibration sensor (MSP1006-ND at digikey), also placed on the ceiling, picking up the vibrations when my neighbor walks too hard or let things fall on the floor, to trigger a signal sent in the amplifier driving the sub, thus returning the vibration to his floor.

1. I study electrical engineering, so I know some things. Anyway, my courses are heavy on the theory side. I ask questions here because I lack some technical details in audio and on applied stuff...

2. First, what is the range voltage and current I should put on a RCA cable to plug in the amplifier which would not damage it? What is the typical impedance of an audio amplifier that my circuit should match?

3. What is the minimum frequency a subwoofer can drive? If possible, I would crank the amplifier so walls start to shake, but It would be cool to use an almost unheardable frequency. I'll do tests anyway...

4. Would it work to send back directly the signal picked up by the vibration sensor to the amplifier, given a proper voltage and current? The signal picked up by the sensor should be proportional to the received vibration, so would the response. If the frequencies of the sound waves sent in my walls make them shake, it should be the proper ones to make his floor to shake too??? ;)

Ok, thats it for now. Thanks in advance for your help,

zeta_no

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi to all,

I have a small problem to solve at home and I need a bit of help. I live on a first floor and my new neighbor, who lives on the second floor, decided to built a small workshop directly over my bedroom. Also, the person is working all day long but also during night, like 2, 3 am in the morning. He lets hammer, and other heavy items, falls on the floor. Like if it was not enough, the person walks on his heels. The apartment is very old, so the lamps and canvas on the walls start shaking on every step. My girlfriend and I start to go crazy. We tried to talk to the neighbor, but he ignores our position.

Given the fact that I have a big subwoofer and a good amplifier not in use at home, I though I might return the vibration to his floor.

I would place the sub in my bedroom closet attached to the ceiling and I would use a vibration sensor (MSP1006-ND at digikey), also placed on the ceiling, picking up the vibrations when my neighbor walks too hard or let things fall on the floor, to trigger a signal sent in the amplifier driving the sub, thus returning the vibration to his floor.

1. I study electrical engineering, so I know some things. Anyway, my courses are heavy on the theory side. I ask questions here because I lack some technical details in audio and on applied stuff...

2. First, what is the range voltage and current I should put on a RCA cable to plug in the amplifier which would not damage it? What is the typical impedance of an audio amplifier that my circuit should match?

3. What is the minimum frequency a subwoofer can drive? If possible, I would crank the amplifier so walls start to shake, but It would be cool to use an almost unheardable frequency. I'll do tests anyway...

4. Would it work to send back directly the signal picked up by the vibration sensor to the amplifier, given a proper voltage and current? The signal picked up by the sensor should be proportional to the received vibration, so would the response. If the frequencies of the sound waves sent in my walls make them shake, it should be the proper ones to make his floor to shake too??? ;)

Ok, thats it for now. Thanks in advance for your help,

zeta_no
Yeah....a full Marshall stack should do the trick. Record the noise he makes, and play it back to him with the volume at 10.
:)

eric