a low pass filter analysis (an infinite chain of LCs)

wannalearn

Joined May 31, 2014
The question ultimately asks me to calculate the cutoff frqeuency but at this point, Im just trying to figure out how to calculate the total impedance of the LC network.

The solution says Znet = Zl + (Zc * Znet)/(Zc + Znet) = Znet

Based on the diagram, i would have thought it is (Zl + Znet) and Zc that are in series. So, I wouldve thought the solution must be the following: Znet = (1/(Znet+Zl) + 1/Zc) ^(-1)

Im trying to analyze the given circuit (LC network) the same way I would analyze the following circuit : http://i.stack.imgur.com/n1eIX.jpg

Rnet = r + (1/r + 1/Rnet) ^(-1) and solve for Rnet.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Znet is the impedance of the whole network.

The key to analyzing this circuit is to note that, because it is an infinite chain, you can cut it off before any capacitor and the impedance looking into the rest of it will be unchanged. Hence, you can reduce it to a single cap and a single inductor that is connected to a network have an impedance of Znet.

wannalearn

Joined May 31, 2014
Thank you for the replies.
I do understand the point of this being that you can cut it off and say the rest of the system still has the same net impedance.
The trouble i have is what elements are in series and parallel
Could you help me figure out what are in series and parallel?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You are correct. The given solution makes no sense.

Note that you have a typo in your original post that made it appear that you were doing it wrong to since you said that (Zl+Znet) and Zc are in series. I think you meant to say parallel.