A little help from someone with schematic knowledge please.

ItsTheFark

Joined Jun 14, 2009
SO if i were to make a list of materials needed to make it, it would be:

3x 10k resistors

NE555 chip
7812 chip
3x 0.01uF capacitors
1x 0.02uF capacitor
1x 1000v 6A diode
24V rechargable battery source
Capacitor bank
1x spool of 22 AWG wire
1x IGBT
wire to connect it all together
breadboard

Is that correct?

By the way.. holy <snip>.. i just realised. What connects the set of circuitry with the 24V power source and the 7812 chip to the rest of the circuit?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You said it, but a picture is worth a thousand words. :D This is one of the few new OP that has given us a schematic without asking, we don't want to discourage that.

ItsTheFark

Joined Jun 14, 2009
Uh oh so i did a no-no?

Sorry guys i didnt know i shouldnt post origional schematics.

But can you please answer one more question? What connects the secment of the 7812 chip-circuit with the power source to the rest of the circuit?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It is very good that you gave the schematic.
This way it is much easier to give an answer.
As Bill said "but a picture is worth a thousand words".

Greetings,
Bertus

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
You did not commit a no-no. Bill Marsden was praising you for providing a schematic of the circuit. Many new posters tend to forget to provide a schematic.

hgmjr

ItsTheFark

Joined Jun 14, 2009
Yeah sorry i miss-read, i was about to edit that before i saw what you guys posted right there. :confused:

So yeah im trying to build this, I am not sure if you guys can tell its a boost converter. And sadly the custom symbols are throwing me off, I can get all the generic symbols but not the others.

As I am a new poster here, I am also new to the world of circuitry.

Of course my confusion has spread with what yous aid :confused:

I was hacking camera circuits before this to use their circuits but it simply isnt a fast enough charging for the capacitors so i found this.

With the camera circuit i simply put the power source where it said, , soldered two wires to the "Push Button?" i guess you can call it.. the thing that starts the charging, then connected what i wanted to be fueled by the capacitors directly to the opposite end of the capacitor bank and let it rip.

I am not familiar with input and output pins, grounded pins. http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7061/schematic2.gif

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Helle,

Here to the point of the stabelizer:

The points V_switch and V_cap 250VDC seem to come from another schematic.
Without that schematic I do not know the purpose.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I have given some comments in the schematic

For the point at L1 : the capacitor will be charged faster when this point is connected to +24 Volts.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

ItsTheFark

Joined Jun 14, 2009
Ugh, i really want to make this but im afraid ill just be wasting my money to have it not work... Obviously i'm either not understanding what your saying, or I am missing a key point...

What type of power source could i possibly use at that +24V point? Obviously not a battery because there is no + and - lead...

Lastly, i got this boost converter schematic off a coil gun site. for simplicity, where would i attach the ends of the coil to on this?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
You will need to put careful thought into the selection of the Q1. Since the voltage is likely to rise to voltage peaks in excess of the 250 volts indicated, the rated breakdown voltage across the collector and emitter needs to have a safety margin of 50 voltages or more in order to avoid damage to the transistor.

hgmjr

ItsTheFark

Joined Jun 14, 2009
I found all of this on anothercoilgunsite.com Please- Any help would be appreciated as i have to go for a bit now. Thank you all very much for attempting to help me.

(anothercoilgunsite.com > Portable > Construction)

EDIT: Ah! Bertus that is VERY helpful! Now lets just assume it would be for a coilgun... where would i attach the two ends of the coil to?

Bertus- thank you so much your help was well... very helpful. If i can get an answer to the above question i will be able to make it!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Sorry I do not know the schematic of a coil gun.
Beware there are high and dangerous voltages involved.

Greetings,
Bertus