A good soldering station.

dumle29

Joined Jun 26, 2011
Hi, im looking for a good soldering station. But it cant be too expensive, so while i would love a hakko-206 its not within my budget. And when were at that, i dont have a particulare budget, though a hakko 206 and 203 is above it.

what i would want from it:
  • A nice smalle pencil iron
  • A nice and flexible coard
  • And most importantly, it has to have a hollow bevel tip for drag soldering available.

I live in Denmark, so the problem with the tips not being available in the US isnt a problem for me :) though i still have problems finding a station that has those tips available :/

I hope you and all your wizzard sk!11z and experince can help me with find an awesome station :) Thanks :)

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
You unfortunately get what you pay for!

Weller is another manufacturer that springs to mind and if they haven't got the tips you're after then nobody has but then again they aren't cheap!

dumle29

Joined Jun 26, 2011
ive looked at wellers site, and they dont seem to carry that sort of tip. The only place ive seen them are on hakkos site. They call them BCM/CM.

i can se that ill better save up if i want a station that accepts those tips tho :(

i had hoped to stay under 125£ - 150€ - 200$ or a tad bit above :/

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Pace originated the Miniwave (concave reservoir) tip and has the patent. The least expensive solder system they make is the ST 25 with PS-90 handpiece.

Any Hakko system that uses the BCM/CM tip shape is an option. They don't sell these in the U.S. because Pace's patent would be enforced there which is no problem for you in Denmark.

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
The FX-888 is a good system but it uses the FX-8801 iron which uses T18 series tips which don't include the BCM/CM shape that you want.

dumle29

Joined Jun 26, 2011
Sadly just discovered that too :(

Would you think dragsoldering would be as "easy" with a CM tip instead of their BCM/CM tips?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
No. The reservoir makes a noticeable difference in preventing/removing bridges. I haven't checked but it may be possible to use a different handpiece with the FX-888, one that can accept BCM/CM tips.

The Plato HS-0530 and HS-0531 tips can be used with the Hakko 900M series irons usually on the discontinued 936 station (predecessor to the FX-888) and the 937 (still available). There are many 936 clones available.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/include/LargeProductImage.aspx?path=plato/lrg/hs-0530.jpg

http://www.mouser.com/Search/include/LargeProductImage.aspx?path=plato/lrg/hs-0531.jpg

You can also use the Weller NTGW tip in the WMP pencil on either the WD1(M), WD2(M) or WR3M station.

Last edited:

dumle29

Joined Jun 26, 2011
It seems extremely hard getting hold of these things in Denmark :(

The only hakko distributer in Denmark, only sells hakko to registered companies :(

Thanks for your help though :(

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you are a hobbyist on a budget, a plain and simple 25W soldering iron will do nicely.
If you can spare the change then a good temperature controlled station is nice to have.
I use a Weller WTCPT but they are not cheap.