A frequency counter of sorts

LeeS

Joined May 19, 2011
Hi im after a frequency counter or similar that will detect and display radio transmissions that are not on the usual "audible" wavelength .

Please excuse my lack of terminology, I really dont have much of a clue when it comes to these things.

At home I have a radio scanner with "Close Call", when it detects a radio transmission it will automatically tune into it and let me listen. Im after making something that will let me know of other radio transmission that cant be heard. For example I live behind electronic gates that open when you click the clicker and it opens the gates. I'm wanting an alert and for it to let me know the frequency of the transmission.

Im not wanting to do anything with it, ive just become sadly obsessed with my scanner and all the transmissions that are local to me!

Can this be done?

This is the spec of my scanner, so you can see what I can already detect.

http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=SC230&filter=Nascar

LeeS

Joined May 19, 2011
Ive had a good look into these and they look like very serious bits of kit, not ideal for a first project. So ill skip on this for now.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Serious Spectrum Analyzers are expensive, more so than a oscope, but as the name suggests they cover a wide area of the RF or audio spectrum.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
We've got an expensive serious spectrum analyzers at work.

One guy has been having fun showing the new digital TV signals on it.