A Dilemma: To scavenge or not to scavenge?

Scrap or save?

• Scrap it and scavenge the parts

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Save it and finish the project

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
I have a troublesome dilemma: should I scrap one of my half finished projects and scavenge the parts from it to use in other circuits?

I started work on it months ago and never finished it because I got sick (that keeps happening :() but scince then I have learnt more electronics and know other ways to do the same thing, which could possibly be even easier and certainly use less parts.
However I put alot of hard work to get this project where it is now, it would work if I finished it.
But should I take it apart anyway and use the parts to make other equally as fun circuits?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you've learned better ways to do something, then why not incorporate the improved methods into the project? You may very well have to remove a number of components. Try to save the ICs at least. Resistors are so cheap that it really isn't worth trying to salvage them.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
When I started this hobby I was a broke teenager with a car to gas.

Scavenging is the only way I got parts.

I vote aye Commander!

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
When I started this hobby I was a broke teenager with a car to gas.

Scavenging is the only way I got parts.

I vote aye Commander!
I was a broke teenager, now I'm a broke 22 year old :p (Cor, twenty bloody two, when did that happen?) I still get more than half my parts from my box of circuitboards from broken stuff ;)

There's so many dials on it too, I wouldn't have to buy potnetiometers for a while...

Alright I am definately leaning towards scavenge, not save. I'll let this run a little while longer though and see what other chaps think.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
Having spent more than half my adult life in Alaska, I'm a confirmed scavenger. You just never know when that obsolete part will come in handy. I have a 30 year old dryer with a perfectly good 1/3 horse motor which will repair the 70 year old table saw which my father built in 1939 or thereabout.

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
Just bumping this thread as I am still undecided.

Carry on the good work Mr K7GUH; repair is to recycle, as recycle is to discard.