A date which will live in Infamy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Yeah, he was voluntarily there. The All Volunteer Force been in effect for at least 37 years now.

The last drawing was March 12, 1975 for the year 1976. Ninety-five was the number from 1972 to 1976. My number, in 1972, was 263. I enlisted in Oct 1972 and retired in Nov 1994. I did my 22 and got out.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Two movies about the topic you should see:

The Kings Speech.
Somewhere in the early 1920s, the british Empire covered nearly the whole world. For some reason, it did not happen.

Metropolis.
WW2 did not just spawn from one day to the other without a background situation.

Many more war movies to see. It can help to understand something close to the actual truth.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Do you miss boot camp. I can not say I do. But well it was an experience. I think some spoiled brats could need some time in boot camp
Let's see, boot camp is: a motivational instructor lead high intensity workout program, punctuated by workshops on folding clothes, shining shoes, making beds, marching, sexually transmitted diseases, and military history, in addition to fun team building exercises and trips to the gun range, that you get paid to attend. Free food, room and board to boot.
Weren't you voluntarily there? I recall you telling that it was your decision...
Yes I was there voluntarily, and if not for the attached 4 year committment, I might go back every year or 2, as I don't have enough drive to keep myself on good shape.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Let's see, boot camp is: a motivational instructor lead high intensity workout program, punctuated by workshops on folding clothes, shining shoes, making beds, marching, sexually transmitted diseases, and military history, in addition to fun team building exercises and trips to the gun range, that you get paid to attend. Free food, room and board to boot.
You should be a recruiter.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You should be a recruiter.
Well I was being facetious, but only partly. As time passes I tend to forget the bad and only remember the good. If you asked me while I was actually IN boot camp you'd probably get a totally different response, but I guess I am far enough removed fro. It to look back on it as a positive experience. I do specifically remember enjoying parts of it, but I have been described as a glutton for punishment. When I left boot camp, I had real abs for the first and last time inmy life. I lost 30 lbs in there.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yeah, he was voluntarily there. The All Volunteer Force been in effect for at least 37 years now.

Well... yes and no.

I still have copies of my 1985 orders stating (and I'm pretty sure I still have it down verbatim, even though it's now been 20 years since I looked at one), "Involuntary call to active duty for a period of 24 months 00 days, unless sooner released."

That little fact was quite useful whenever a T.I. (the Air Forces version of a D.I.) would get in my face and, sooner or later, say something along the lines of, "You volunteered for this, boy!" and I would say, "Sir, Airman Bahn reports as ordered. No sir, I did not." That would catch them off guard and get their curiosity up. So they would ask a follow-up question (and, being caught off guard, it seldom was well phrased) and I would give a technically correct but woefully incomplete answer that would just make them more curious. I could usually stretch it out for five or six questions and, by that time, they had forgotten all about how they were supposed to be all in my face for some (usually imagined) infraction.

The last drawing was March 12, 1975 for the year 1976. Ninety-five was the number from 1972 to 1976. My number, in 1972, was 263. I enlisted in Oct 1972 and retired in Nov 1994. I did my 22 and got out.
And thank you for your service -- especially being willing to stand up at the time you did.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've been reflecting on my own previous comments, and now I'm wondering if there might be a market for legit civilian boot camp. A hardcore workout organization. You sign over your life for 2 months (or more) just like real boot camp. You don't have the option to give up and leave; you are there until you reach the 2 months AND pass the fitness requirements. You don't have the option to go home and pig out on ice cream; you eat what you're fed and like it. You don't have the option to fall behind on group runs; the DI and your group will "motivate" you in ways that no other civilian fitness group can - no "come on, I know you have the strength, you are a strong person, don't give up now!", but "come on @$#%%^ if you dont hurry your lard ass up, I'm going to punish this whole $!!%#$% group" just like real boot camp.

I think there are some out of shape people out there who are prone to giving up and know it. Maybe they've tried gym memberships, personal trainers, long beach diets, etc but just never find the will power to see it through. Maybe they feel so down on themselves that they've lost hope. I bet that people in that position might consider such a program, as success is guaranteed, and they don't have to depend on their own wishy washy lack of motivation - motivation is provided.

I wonder how much people would pay for such an experience, or how much demand there really is for it. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.