A cooling fan for an air compressor

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Kermit,
I suggest that you use some Threadlocker Blue, or at least a dab of paint or nail polish on each of the screws/nuts; otherwise you will likely find that your projects' screws/nuts will soon vibrate loose.

You might also consider using rubber grommets to make a flexible mount.

If the fan box is vibrated significantly by the compressor, it may put very high loads on the fan's bearings, which will shorten its' lifespan.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I have several thicknesses of rubber padding for use for just such vibration isolation as you mention. The attachment will be to the bottom horizontal frame member, which does not have any physical movement that I can see, but if you put a hand on it you can feel the vibrations somewhat. Hopefully with the rubber padding between, the transferred vibrational moment to the fan itself will be quite small.

Everyone will just have to wait till I get some more pictures posted to see how I end up doing this, since I don't really have a clue to how it will look at final assy. :)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Depending on where you mount it, using actual springs may hold it steadier than trying to remove the vibration with foam. A "Floating mount", if you will. Similar to one of the older methods used for earthquake protection on elevators.

use a spring for each mounting point, the box will want to stay still while half the spring vibrates with the load.

Abura

Joined Nov 21, 2017
I'm starting a project. I have an air compressor that seems to get very hot while running. I realize they do this as part of the process of compressing the air, but the heat developed also contributes to the inevitable future failure of the compressor. To help prevent a short lifespan, and keep my investment in top shape for a longer period of time, I have decided to to place a fan near the piston of the compressor to aid in cooling it. I don't want the fan to run all the time the it plugged in, and I don't want it to turn on and off at the same time as the compressor, so I need a circuit to keep the fan running till it has cooled off, then switch it off.

I've decided on using a thermistor. http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=2540072#tab=Specs

which will feed into an op amp.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=3830229

this will power a solid state relay connected in the emitter circuit of a 2222 transistor.
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=6824068

This is the compressor I have is a nice little ingersol rand branded one and will feed two seperate tanks besides it's own. Both of them will be in my workshop in the house and will have isolation valves on them to remove them from the air compressor air distribution piping.

Purchased here(It was on sale for less than it is selling for now)

For a power supply I used an a 5 volt adapter from one of my wifes old, no longer used, cell phones.
http://www.everypowercable.com/lg22gt2.html

And it will power a muffin fan, almost identical to this

I have cut and bent and drilled out some mounting holes on a piece of aluminum. The fan will be mounted on it and aimed at the piston. It looks like this.

The relay coil is actually not one. Since I went with a solid state relay device instead of a mechanical one. The compressor vibrates A LOT and I got to thinking that might not be compatiable with a mechanical contact type relay.

The circuit I have come up with is this one.

Hopefully I'll get the parts I ordered tomorrow, if not then next week on Monday or Tuesday(At the mercy of FedEx) and will get to work mounting the circuit components this weekend (or next)

If it all works out like I hope I'll post it in the completed projects forum.

Kermit
Can you tell me How much pressure makes your little Ingersol rand branded air compressor?

Last edited by a moderator:

waker

Joined Feb 21, 2018
Thanks a lot Kermit2 for setting Idea of a cooling fan with an air compressor. I have an Industrial air compressor Air IL 1682066. Its 1.6-hp motor delivers 135 psi of max pressure and 5.3 CFM at 90 psi & 6.2 CFM at 40 psi. I also need to set a cooling fan for it. I am most inspired by your topic and as soon as possible I set up it.
Thank you

Moderators note : removed commercial link

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: