A challenge for Audioguru

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I think there is a time for everything. Now it is a time to stop hiding and prove my point. A fellow member of this forum that calls himself a guru, and yes, I'm referring to Audioguru, has been making detrimental reviews on my projects and solutions, effectively nulling all my work on AAC. He has been practising what I call destructive criticism, that is, negative remarks that lack presentation of any alternatives, viable or not. The problem is not just limited to AAC, but it is very present on other forums that he uses.

I was a proud member of AAC but now I don't like what AAC has become. Hence the reason of my absence.

I will propose a challenge to Audioguru. Since he appears to be a man of many theories but little practise (because I don't see any work of him and the threads he started can be counted with the fingers), I propose that Audioguru should post his projects onto "The Completed Projects Collection".

I hope that someone understands that this is not a rant or a fight.

Is the max power so low because your home has walls made of rice-paper?

I made an amplifier similar to yours about 35 years ago for the beach. It had a sub-woofer (4" speaker) with 6W and two satellite speakers (3" speakers) with 3W each. It was powered from a Nicad battery. I didn't use tone controls because the speakers had a good frequency response.
Perhaps you want to start by posting that amplifier!?

As for me, I won't post more projects on AAC, or update the existing ones, for a long time. I think my work here was discredited and I have nothing to add. The many hours I spent here are worthless, as my projects are not even viewed.

I will also not contribute to AAC in a visible manner. I'll be just limited to this topic. I have other forums to watch and I'm sure my help here is not needed.

Best regards!

P.S.: I guess this topic will eventually get buried as many other topics. Hum! Is it really worth it? Or I'm just misusing my keyboard here?

Last edited by a moderator:

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Thanks Bertus!

I'm not leaving AAC forever. It is just for a big while, until AAC returns to what it was used to be. I don't blame Audioguru for what this forum has become. But I don't like to see members ranting at each other, topics being closed to prevent further ranting, etc. It seems some people don't understand that discussing is not a fight.

Another reason is that I no longer see the point of posting my projects here. But I'm really glad you appreciate them.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
AudioGuru is a rather persnickety old codger, and the Scrooge icon suits him particularly well.

I have chastised him on numerous occasions as to his demeanor in the forums; they are here to educate and elucidate, not denigrate. However, he occasionally forgets himself and randoms off into inappropriateness.

Despite his abrasive shortcomings, I'll suggest that overall, AudioGuru is an asset to the forums. Perhaps his mood would be better if he limited his responses to fewer forums/fewer threads. I myself get "testy" if trying to respond to too many threads.

The "help requests" far outnumber the "helpers" who can actually provide useful responses. At least in the audio realm, AudioGuru is indeed quite helpful.

Please do not misunderstand AudioGuru's responses to you as taking issue with you soley; there may have been issues with circuits that you posted to which we are not currently aware of.

If one posts on a worldwide forum such as this, one has to be at least acceptable to a modicum of criticism.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You guys have sent me to off-topic,lets slow down and get to know
Audioguru.Maybe we don't him as well as we think. I have done very
for myself in the electronic business world. I have been self employed.
I don't mind going to off-topic because I am not up to date on all the
new stuff. There may be a few laptop owners that have never been
employed in electronics or made a dime from electronics on this Forum.
So lets be nice and allows for preceived failures of our guys. We really
don't know every thing. Loosewire,wm

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Please do not misunderstand AudioGuru's responses to you as taking issue with you soley; there may have been issues with circuits that you posted to which we are not currently aware of.
But you must not forget that every time he "helps", he only makes ridiculous comments and doesn't make suggestions to solve the problems. The last part is that differentiates constructive criticism from the rest. He referred to a DC protection crowbar as a dimmer, for God sake. I wanted to replace the DIAC so the crowbar would trigger at voltages lesser than 30V. He stated that, but didn't suggested any replacements for the DIAC. I saw other forums where he is a member and he is always the same: makes ridiculous comments and doesn't present solutions or alternatives. It is a shame, since he seems to have many knowledge to share. I thought that was what AAC was all about!

Just a little comment of him about the Visaton FR 10 4OHM speaker (to prove my point):
The Visaton 4" speaker has no bass and the level of the highs is all over the place.
Its sensitivity is very low so 1W won't be much louder than headphones laying on a chair.
My YouTube videos prove otherwise. I know that 86dB is not good in terms of sensitivity, but the speaker is quite good in real life, though it has quite bad charts. This is a speaker that is much appraised in the DIY audio community! The general members that don't know the speaker will get the impression that the speaker is lousy. The same happens with my projects!

You proved my last point. People get the impression that my circuits are wrong! Well, they work very well, and are way better than most commercial products out there. As you know, I'm a guy that always reworks a circuit when a defect, even if minor, is found. For instance, I have reworked Quattuor 4 times, only in the final stage.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't think discussing a particular member in this forum is appropriate.

I will add simply that I enjoy his posts. He is one of the few posters who I will always read regardless of the title of the thread.

I just wish he would see the light and come to the US. ;)

John

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I don't think discussing a particular member in this forum is appropriate.

I will add simply that I enjoy his posts. He is one of the few posters who I will always read regardless of the title of the thread.

I just wish he would see the light and come to the US. ;)

John
I'm not "discussing" a member. If you appreciate him, that is good. He is really in need of some friends. What I'm doing is challenging him. If he can make better circuits that anyone else in the forum, he should post them. Don't you think? And I remind you that his undermining actions don't help AAC at all! Just to a search and you will see that half of his posts are quite abrasive, using SgtWookie words. I'm only doing some justice here.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Cumesoftware, If I know one thing, it is this:

If you like what you do here in AAC, and take pleasure from it, then you should keep on doing it, no matter what you are told. The site has thousands of members and simulates real life, where skirmishes manifest all the time. But this is exactly why you should stand for your ideas; because they complete you and express you. Personally I can see that in your threads.

If however the distaste you get from criticism overshadows the joy you get from posting, then it might be a good idea to abstain from the forum for a while.

At any rate, please don't delete your projects, as I think they are tremendously representative of the AAC community work.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I never thought of your work as discredited, and enjoyed the reading of them. I don't think I would build them, mostly because I enjoy designing from scratch. But I don't think I could come close to their specs either.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
:O: Nothing. :) Please delete
Oh, this is my first reply to the thread that I didn't started/owned. Isn't it?

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I'm not "discussing" a member. If you appreciate him, that is good. He is really in need of some friends. What I'm doing is challenging him.
cumesoftware said:
But you must not forget that every time he "helps", he only makes ridiculous comments and doesn't make suggestions to solve the problems. The last part is that differentiates constructive criticism from the rest. He referred to a DC protection crowbar as a dimmer, for God sake. I wanted to replace the DIAC so the crowbar would trigger at voltages lesser than 30V. He stated that, but didn't suggested any replacements for the DIAC. I saw other forums where he is a member and he is always the same: makes ridiculous comments and doesn't present solutions or alternatives. It is a shame, since he seems to have many knowledge to share. I thought that was what AAC was all about!
Those are criticisms, not challenges.

If he can make better circuits that anyone else in the forum, he should post them. Don't you think?
Nope. This is not a contest. Score is not being kept. There may be many good reasons he would not want to post his personal circuits here.

And I remind you that his undermining actions don't help AAC at all! Just to a search and you will see that half of his posts are quite abrasive, using SgtWookie words. I'm only doing some justice here.
Another criticism, not challenge. You mean vigilante justice?

John

bribri

Joined Feb 20, 2011
i've only been around a short time.
but i like audioguru's advice.
i don't think ever i'd ever bother trying to convince him of anything.
forums such as this are interesting, there's always going to be massive subjective differences... things which just come down to personal taste really.
even radically divergent fundamental belief systems and ideological polarization don't have to get in the way of sharing some common interests... and that's saying something.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Those are criticisms, not challenges.
Yes, I admit that I'm criticizing him. But one thing is criticizing. Other thing is just mocking and bringing down. I admit that he helped a lot of people on AAC, but he never helped me. When you bring down someone and don't present him suggestions to improve, that is not being critic. I think one thing is saying, for instance "I suggest you to use bigger speakers with more bass", and other thing is asking if my walls are made or rice paper, of if the stickers will help the tiny drivers to produce some bass. At least I'm suggesting where he should improve: in attitude. And besides, many times he referred to me as "cum". That is disrespectful, to say the least.

Nope. This is not a contest. Score is not being kept. There may be many good reasons he would not want to post his personal circuits here.
You are right. Never thought about that.

Another criticism, not challenge. You mean vigilante justice?

John
No. I don't want to hang the guy in the middle of the square. I only think he should change his attitude. I redraw the challenge. My bad!

Cumesoftware, If I know one thing, it is this:

If you like what you do here in AAC, and take pleasure from it, then you should keep on doing it, no matter what you are told. The site has thousands of members and simulates real life, where skirmishes manifest all the time. But this is exactly why you should stand for your ideas; because they complete you and express you. Personally I can see that in your threads.

If however the distaste you get from criticism overshadows the joy you get from posting, then it might be a good idea to abstain from the forum for a while.

At any rate, please don't delete your projects, as I think they are tremendously representative of the AAC community work.
That is reasonable, and it would be unwise for me to delete my projects. I will follow your advise.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, I admit that I'm criticizing him. But one thing is criticizing. Other thing is just mocking and bringing down. I admit that he helped a lot of people on AAC, but he never helped me. When you bring down someone and don't present him suggestions to improve.
So this all boils down to him not helping you. Why didn't you PM him instead of opening a public critique?

John

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
So this all boils down to him not helping you. Why didn't you PM him instead of opening a public critique?

John
Because I was not aware of that fact you just pointed. I opened this thread not because of him, but because I see people refusing to help. Unfortunately, Audioguru was the only example I had at hand. Some members don't even admit silly questions from other members, and that is bad. But I guess it takes all sorts.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There is an old saying, Cream rises to the top. The folks who offer superior help do tend to stand out. I love watching other people design, it is one of several ways I learn!