A centipede blew up my new computer's power supply.

Evil Lurker

Joined Aug 25, 2011
Just thought I would share this... got a emachines PC from the local scrap metal recycling facility for $30. Took it home, wouldn't power up. After opening the PSU, looky what I found:

Apparently the creepy little bastard somehow managed to crawl into the PSU, under the plastic shielding (which was glued in most places), and right across where the leads to the 400v primary capacitor were soldered onto the PCB. Judging by the crater it left on the board, needless to say I bet that there was a good chance that whoever was using the computer at the time lost control of some bodily functions when it shorted. Luckily for me, the only thing that was taken out was the fuse, none of the PFC or PWM circuitry, fine circuit traces, or computer hardware connected to the PSU were damaged. After giving it a good cleaning out with a toothbrush and scrubbing bubbles and repairing the damaged traces with some solder and copper wire the PSU works good as new (which would be a real shame if it didn't considering it was an 80+ bronze certified Delta manufactured unit in a proprietary form factor).

Anyhoos, just thought I would share.