a/c fan not turning

parmarbend

Joined Jul 3, 2006
i have an air conditioner whose fan stopped turning.
I had a similar problem about 2 years ago. A repairman came - added oil (I forgot where) and the fan worked again
i tried opening the a/c but didnt see a place to add oil.
Also i dont know what type of oil to add - if oil is the problem.
I was told i could use WD-40. Is that true?
Before the a/c fan stopped turning, the a/c was blowing out the circuit breaker. I'm thinking the problem could be electrical.
any advice? Should I just call the repairman again or are there simple things I could do myself?

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
Hey parmarbend.
Most A/C's don't have oil tanks so to speak. You could try oiling the bearing connected to the fan(never hurts to oil the moving parts). Any oil is fine. You could use motor oil if you choose(we always use 10W-40 or whatever is chilling around the farm at the time. WD-40 is also a good choice. It is supposed to concentrate the area.

Do you hear any noise from the unit itself? Is the motor making a whining sound at all? Thanks.

-fire

Grant

Joined Mar 5, 2006
parmarbend said:
i have an air conditioner whose fan stopped turning.
I had a similar problem about 2 years ago. A repairman came - added oil (I forgot where) and the fan worked again
i tried opening the a/c but didnt see a place to add oil.
Also i dont know what type of oil to add - if oil is the problem.
I was told i could use WD-40. Is that true?
Before the a/c fan stopped turning, the a/c was blowing out the circuit breaker. I'm thinking the problem could be electrical.
any advice? Should I just call the repairman again or are there simple things I could do myself?
Hi parmarbend,
With the a/c turned off at the unit AND the circuit breaker switched off (don't chop off any fingers), can you try to spin the fan by putting a screwdriver through the protection grill? In other words-is the fan free? Is it rubbing on the cowling or grill?

Does the compressor hum away for a while before the circuit breaker trips?
Cheers,
Grant

brrrabbit

Joined Jun 30, 2006
sounds like you could have a bad bearing in the fan motor, or pillow block bearing. If its tripping the breaker, that isnt a good thing. Also you may want to check to see if there is an overload protector built into the motor....if so that could be tripped.
hope this helps
BrrRabbit