A bucket of OHM's

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A little trivia. :)

"The ohm (Ω) as a unit of electrical resistance was adopted in 1881 during the “Internationalen Elektrizitätskongress” in Vienna, in honor of the German physicist Georg Simon Ohm. However, it is less known that the term “ohm” had already been used as a unit of volume for hundreds of years in Europe.

This ohm derived from the Latinism “ama,” meaning “bucket,” and was equivalent to around 120 to 170 litres."

Max.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A little trivia. :)"The ohm (Ω) as a unit of electrical resistance was adopted in 1881 during the “Internationalen Elektrizitätskongress” in Vienna
Do you mean that the ohm is the accepted world standard? That the ohm is used universally, and if you arrive at any result that does not comply with the definition of the ohm, it must be due to human error?

Well, imagine that!

enggricha

Joined May 17, 2014
I'm just full of it, Trivia that is.:p
On what subject?
Max.:)
Well anything electronics...part of my work requires me to work with electronics students... and things like these, help to maintain the attention span of students just a bit longer !

for example i like going into the history of everything...like Arduino is actually the name of a Italian bar !!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Well anything electronics...part of my work requires me to work with electronics students... !
If they are at the Ohms law level, have you given them the classic cube made up of 1Ω resistors for each side and calculate the resistance between a diagonal ( or correctly) triagonal corner to corner?
Max.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Tell me about being precise: 50 liters betwen max and min!! :eek: :eek:
Yeah, that was when Weights and Measures, was 'Close Enough'

Actually I can relate to it, ever since Canada went metric, this is the now the standard of measure, and technically if someone sells any quantitative measure in old Imperial, it should be still be an accurate equivalent representation.
But, it's virtually impossible to buy a beer in an Imperial (20fl 0zs) pint.
Just about every bar and restaurant has their own interpretation, I was even offered a 'House pint', turned out to be 13fl oz.
Not even an American 16oz pint!
I make my own now, so I always get a Pint.:D
Max.