a brief history of time

abhishekkapahi

Joined Nov 3, 2010
i just finished reading a brief history of time by Stephen Hawkings. It is all so fascinating. Looking into past is so easy, just look up into the sky and all you see is the past. And how a small thing as an electron of infact quarks effect something as big as the universe.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Speculation and conjecture. nothing more.
It doesn't sound like you've ever read it. It is what the title says, and explanation how we got to where we're at concerning modern theories. It is the history of physics. The theories change, but history is factual.

As for physics and theories, we have a long way to go, but I'd say we've come a log way too.

If you are interested there is a complete online version, no purchase required.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
It doesn't sound like you've ever read it.
No, I haven't read that particular dissertation, tho' I have read many others similar in context.

Primary evidence to support my position ? the time-worn big bang // expanding universe // evolution "theories"...speak volumes for themselves..... need I say more ??

edit: My two cents worth......Humble apologies if necessary.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Always nice to judge before the facts. Stephen Hawking isn't perfect, but he is the a genius of the latter 20th century.

The speculation is based on solid observations, repeatable and verified, but nothing can argue with faith. This is the physics forum.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
The whole of modern cosmology and the Big Bang are out the window if the Higgs particle can't be demonstrated.
Well, some of it anyway. A lot of the theory discussed in that book has far reaching implications. Well beyond just cosmology.

The King may just as well claim that the infrastructure that allows him to express his indoctrinated thoughts to the world is merely based on speculation and conjecture.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
@PackratKing,

If physics is 'snollygoster', what are you doing here?

At least it is not self contradictory like some of the other 'snollygoster' of which, beleive me, i am very well aquainted.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
i just finished reading a brief history of time by Stephen Hawkings. It is all so fascinating. Looking into past is so easy, just look up into the sky and all you see is the past. And how a small thing as an electron of infact quarks effect something as big as the universe.
I agree Abhishek. It's a good and very accessible book. A lot of fairly advanced ideas are presented in a easily understood narrative.