A A Tip of the Hat to System Moderators for a Job Well Done!

Inquisitive

Joined Nov 12, 2011
I was online early this morning when some person decided that their best method to sell their product was to spam just about every forum category with their important advertising.

To the person doing the spam. Stop and think about this for a second.
Do you think by spamming (apologies to Hormel) every forum subject heading that your company would have any credibility as a responsible source to purchase material with my hard earned money? Really? Do you think you could trick or fool a single person to buy from you? I'd suggest you seek competent psychiatric help, you need heavy sedation to control your illogical thought process. Nobody in their right mind would use the spam method to promote their company!

Maybe you need to step up to your ultimate level of competence as a diseased Yak dealer!

You created a few seconds of work for an ever vigilant system moderator to erase every bit of your thoughtless advertising. What have you accomplished? Oh, my bad you did catch the attention of two people, myself and the moderator and guess what we will not buy from you!

To the system moderator who wiped the idiots work off the server. Well done! A tip of the hat so to speak, to you.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
This appears to happen mostly in the early mornings when all the global moderators are away from their computers. Think of the hundreds of spam that they catch that we don't see.

Our mods on AAC are the greatest!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I see that Geo got most of the spam today.
Also Bill got some.

The moderators are spread in timeslots over the day.
Bill_Marsden and hgmjr are in america as georacer and me are in europe.
Also the administrators have different timeslots.
Dave is in england and jrap is in canada.

The forum has also the capability of "automoderation".
This means that some spam will never show to the members, due to a list of selected words.
The moderators can see these posts and remove them using the "spam decimator".

Bertus

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Doesn't seem well spread out to me.
Bill, hmjr and jrap in North America.
How active are jrap and Dave?
Don't we need more coverage in Eastern Europe, Asia and Australia?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Bill_Marsden has work (several different shifts) that allows him to enter the forum on different times of the day.
Bill is also in invisible mode, to surprise the spammers.
I often see him in the morning as well as in the evening.

Bertus

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
We should have a league table of mods and admin - see who catches the most spam.

Whoever gets the most over the course of the year wins a can of:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hello,

Bill_Marsden has work (several different shifts) that allows him to enter the forum on different times of the day.
Bill is also in invisible mode, to surprise the spammers.
I often see him in the morning as well as in the evening.

Bertus
It works too. The suckers try to pay attention when there is a moderator on, I pop in and out at random times, if there is a dry spell at work I pop in then too. Keeps them guessing.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Does this auto-moderation kick in after it's reported, or was bertus just removing the same thread I reported instantly?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Auto-moderation is based on system judgment and kicks in right on the post mounting. Post reports are sent to us and are examined manually.