8051 Interrupts Question?

ra1ph

Joined Jan 5, 2010
Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of feedback on a problem that I'm working on:

The question is;
"Write an 8051 program that uses interrupts to implement an intruder alarm.
Let sensor be tied to the INTO(p3.2) pin, which is at 0 when an intruder steps on a special mat, and 1 when there is no pressure on the mat.
The program should write a 1 to P3.0 (ALARM) to turn on an alarm buzzer when an interrupt occurs. The program should keep the alarm on until there is no more pressure on the mat."

My attempted Answer is:

ORG 0000H

SETB EA ;SETTING Interupt enable registrar
SETB EX0
MOV TCON,#00H ;Recognising INT0 WHEN LOGIC lOW

MAIN_LOOP:

JMP $

ORG 0003H ;external interupt 0 vector
SETB P3.0
JNB P3.2,$
CLR P3.0
RET1

END

As usual any help greatly appreciated!

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
First, your initialization cannot be done down in the interrupt address range because it will write over all kinds of stuff--do it like this:
The only other potential problem I see, is starting it with someone on the mat...
Hope this is helpful

ORG 0000h
jmp init ;get out of here

SETB P3.0
JNB P3.2,$
CLR P3.0
reti ;you had RET1 which may not work

org 0030h ;safe place to put remainder of code--got burnt once putting code in the interrupt area

init: ;initialization
mov sp,#80h ;default 07h is too low for stack pointer--got burnt here too--prob not an issue with only 1 interrupt
clr p3.0 ;clear alarm out
SETB EX0

MAIN_LOOP:
JMP $

Last edited:

ra1ph

Joined Jan 5, 2010
First, your initialization cannot be done down in the interrupt address range because it will write over all kinds of stuff--do it like this:
The only other potential problem I see, is starting it with someone on the mat...
Hope this is helpful

ORG 0000h

SETB P3.0
JNB P3.2,$
CLR P3.0

org 0030h ;safe place to put remainder of code--got burnt once putting code in the interrupt area

mov sp,#80h ;default 07h is too low for stack pointer--got burnt here too--prob not an issue with only 1 interrupt
SETB EX0

MAIN_LOOP:
JMP $

Thanks for this, I have an end of semester exam on the 8051 on Monday morning, so this is a great help. This question has come up in previous years. I'm glad I was not too far off the correct answer.

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
assembler directives:
$mod51 ;put this at the beginning of your code to import mnemonics definitions and addresses or $mod52 for the 8052
I have always used cseg at xxxxh instead of org xxxxh Probably both will assemble OK.

I do not have an 8051 reference manual handy so check out which bit to set to make int0 edge triggered--if it is not edge triggered, it will lock up attempting to service a continuously low interrupt signal--another way to do it would be to disable the interrupt while servicing the interrupt and then re-enable it when exiting.

found it
setb it0 ;int0 is edge triggered--this is hidden in the tcon register or

mov tcon,#00000001b

Last edited:

ra1ph

Joined Jan 5, 2010
Thanks Jim for the follow up,

So the revised code is
$mod51

ORG 0000h ;we have not used cseg before

SETB P3.0
JNB P3.2,$
CLR P3.0

SETB EX0
MOV TCON,#01H ;Recognising INT0 when edge triggered

MAIN_LOOP:
JMP $

Just a question on MOV TCON, #00000001b;

why should this be edged triggered and not set to 00000000b to be triggered when logic level is LOW?

PS. Weather here in Ireland is very mild around 10degC . Like yourselves we have had a very mild winter unlike last year when temperature reached -9DegC (16F)

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
Level triggering is often intended for a short pulse--if the interrupt remains low, it will be continuously attempting to service the interrupt--to get around this, the interrupt is generally immediately turned off until the signal returns high

With edge triggering it can remain low and will not be re-triggered until it goes high and then low again.

In microcontrollers there are always multiple solutions to problems.