8051 architecture programming question

Eric90

Joined Mar 11, 2010
Hi I'm new to the forum. I've been working with various microcontrollers for the past 6 months (mainly atmel 89c51) and have done some basic projects such like LCDs and RTCs etc.

However I have been assigned a project that requires me to have one microcontroller program another by use of the tx rx termimals in port 3.

So for example microcontroller 1 will be programmed to put a program (e.g real time clock etc) in the memory of microcontroller 2. So when microcontroller 2 is disconnected from microcontroller 1 and turned on it will run the real time clock program.

I realize I may have worded this strangely and my experience is limited but any help given will be much appreciated.

Thanks Eric

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Welcome to the forums.

This seems like an assignment, but I moved it here as this is a more appropriate forum.

In essence, the programming 8051 must do the same thing as the device programmer. If you understand how the programmer works, you can set up the second 8051 to accept the code transfer from the first.

Eric90

Joined Mar 11, 2010
Thankyou for the friendly welcome and the quick reply. Basically I use atmel flip to transfer the hex code to the microcontroller. So to get a microcontroller to do this function instead I should try and emulate how flip works?

Sorry for my vagueness but I am lost with this one. Do you know of any resources that could get me on the right track?

Thank you

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I am not familiar with 8051''s. The data sheet should give information about how to enter program code into internal memory.

And maybe someone who knows all about it will make a more definite suggestion.

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
You are trying to download the codes to the microcontroller. Refers to the datasheet of the specific 8051 under the programming section. There will be some timing diagram specifications to follow.