8 input progammable display

dhwaytron

Joined Apr 15, 2008
I currently have a 9v battery powered device that has 8 opAmps configured as comparators that turn on a series of 8 LED’s. I am looking for a way to take these 8 LED outputs and convert them to a 4 digit alphanumeric LCD or LED display. I would like to be able to program the contents of the display based on the condition of the 8 outputs. For example: I might want the display to say PASS when the first 4 outputs go high and FAIL when all the outputs are LOW and then display various numbers for other conditions. Or even better, a 1 or 2 line LCD display that I can program whatever I want based on the results from the 8 comparators. I guess in general, I am looking for a low cost programmable display with 8 inputs that runs on a 9v battery.
Please take it easy on me, I am somewhat of a beginner in this area with just enough knowledge to get into trouble.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
One solution would involve a microcontroller such as a PIC or an AVR. However, it is clear from your post that you are still learning your way around in the electronics field.

Perhaps you could consider simply consolidate the signals you now have using logic gates so that you distill the eight lines down to 2 and use them to drive a RED (FAIL) or a GREEN (PASS) LED.

hgmjr

dhwaytron

Joined Apr 15, 2008
That would be fine if all I needed was pass and Fail. But I was using that as only an example. I would need 8 or so different responses based on the condition of the 8 signals. Does anyone have a simple display with built-in microcontroller that would not be too difficult to use?