8 bits parallel dac to Pic18f452 and spi eeprom to play 44khz samples ???

xnihilo

Joined Nov 20, 2008
Hi,

For my project i need to use the dac0800lcn from futurlec and interface it with a pic18f452. I read the datasheet but i don't know what external components i have to use to connect it differentialy to a lm386n-3 and connect the 5v data pins to the pic pins of portc.
Moreover my pic is supplied with 5v throoug a voltage regulator 78l05.
There is a 10v reference used for dac0800 in the datasheet. Unfortunately i run the application from 9v battery so there is no way using 10v.
Could anyone give me some clues?
I even don't know if this dac is suitable for my needs which is to play a 8 bits 44khz sample from a spi eeprom...
Thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You might check, but I think the DAC0800 is an 8 bit Analog to Digital converter. You need to go the other way, with a Digital to Analog converter.

Is that file mono and only 8 bits resolution?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The DAC0800 isn't specified for unipolar operation. +/- 4.5 volts seems to be the minimum. If you read the application notes, you will see a setup that lets you run the output through resistors so you don't need a differential input to the amp.

xnihilo

Joined Nov 20, 2008
The DAC0800 isn't specified for unipolar operation. +/- 4.5 volts seems to be the minimum. If you read the application notes, you will see a setup that lets you run the output through resistors so you don't need a differential input to the amp.
By saying unipolar, you mean supplying the IC with a battery.
Okay, this DAC is not suitable. There are good SPI DACS but unfortunately I can't get them from Futurlec. I'll try something else or check the other DAC they have at futurlec.

Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Whatever you do, it will sound like crap if you take 16-bit data (from a CD) at 44.1 kHz and replay it as 8-bit data at 44.1 kHz.

If the sampled data is 8-bit data then it will prbably still sound pretty awful. You should be aware that audio systems use 20-24 bit DACS at a minimum.