8-bit parallel bus replaced with serial link.

yacub

Joined Apr 16, 2013
Hey guys,

I am confused on how to approach this problem, and was hoping you guys could help. The problem is:

An 8‐bit parallel bus that has a peak transfer rate of 10 Kbytes/second is to be replaced with a serial link providing the same capacity. The link will be formed by connecting UARTs on each side with a serial cable. Each byte will be transmitted on the serial link as 8 data bits + 1 start bit + 1 stop bit + odd parity.

A). What is the minimum frequency required of the serial clock?

B). Show the serial clock and data waveforms during the transfer of the byte 11011001 on the link. Assume that the byte is transmitted such that the rightmost bit is transmitted first on the wire.

C). Calculate the baud rate on the link.

This looks like an 8b10b encoding. I'm not too sure what the minimum frequency would be. Would this be related to the transfer rate? My notes aren't too helpful as the professor leaves us with a cliff hanger of sorts. Any help on all three questions would be appreciated. Thank you.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Post your best effort to answer them and we will use that as a starting point for discussion.

This is not an 8b10b encoding, which replaced the 8 data bits with a different 10 data bits that are edge-rich for the purpose of embedding a clock. The start, stop, and parity bits are completely unrelated to that.

Start with a sketch of the transfer of two bytes of data serially.