8 bit multiplier

Alexio

Joined Oct 16, 2010
Hi, I'm pretty new to all of this but I am trying to come up with a good 8 bit multiplier possibly for use inside of an ALU. I have a working model but I'm not sure it's very efficient?

I've only just started to mess around with this stuff using some software called "Logic Gate Simulator". All it does is cross compare the 8 bits against each other and if there's a match feeds it in to a series of ripple adders to collate the results in to an answer (those little boxes are Full Adders). Is this a good way to do it?

Alexio

Joined Oct 16, 2010
I'm disappointed I haven't received any answers. Is this the right forum for this kind of question? Is there something wrong with my question or how I am trying to accomplish this?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I'm disappointed I haven't received any answers. Is this the right forum for this kind of question? Is there something wrong with my question or how I am trying to accomplish this?
Support is free, we all do this out of our spare time. Not all of us have enough time.

If it works, it works. AFAIK, this is how most multipliers work and this is also why you don't get them in lower end processors, because the cost to add them is high.

Alexio

Joined Oct 16, 2010
Support is free, we all do this out of our spare time. Not all of us have enough time.

If it works, it works. AFAIK, this is how most multipliers work and this is also why you don't get them in lower end processors, because the cost to add them is high.
Thank you very much for the reply, I very much appreciate it :)

I am definitely leaning towards not including this inside of an ALU that I am still designing as it is just a simple project. I think this place is great by the way.