8-0-8 TRANSFORMER necessary for modified sine-wave

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by adeel, Jul 31, 2008.

  1. adeel

    Thread Starter Member

    Jun 28, 2008
    hi . friends
    i want to make an inverter which will give modified sine-wave but when i research i found that only 8-0-8 or 10-0-10 volts transformer can give modified sine-wave . i want to use 12-0-12 volts transformer . for this purpose . i think if i increase the 220 volts winding of transformer i can get required volts . am i rite . please help me . thank.
  2. scubasteve_911

    Senior Member

    Dec 27, 2007
    Modified sine wave? Please explain.

    Are you using DC to create an 'inverter' / AC signal generator?

    You need to explain your intentions better.

  3. Audioguru


    Dec 20, 2007
    A modified sinewave inverter has a waveform like a square-wave but with a higher voltage step at each halfwave. So the peak of the step is the same voltage as the peak of a sinewave.

    As I told him on another website, the transformer must have the correct ratio to produce the correct RMS output voltage.
    A 12V-0V-12V transformer is used with Mosfets to produce a simple square-wave inverter. The peak voltage of a square-wave is the same as its RMS voltage.

    If a 12V-0V-12V transformer is used with a modified sinewave inverter circuit then the RMS output voltage will be about 0.707 times too low.
  4. scubasteve_911

    Senior Member

    Dec 27, 2007
    Ohh, gotcha, I thought it was some sort of flyback topology..