74LS390 Question

bertz

Joined Nov 11, 2013
I am using a pair of 74LS390 in a timer circuit configured to divide by 100. I will be using the 1Qd and 2Qd outputs. Do I ground the Qb and Qc outputs or leave them floating? Also should I ground pins 2 & 14 (CLR) since the oscillator will run all of the time?

Attachments

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I am using a pair of 74LS390 in a timer circuit configured to divide by 100. I will be using the 1Qd and 2Qd outputs. Do I ground the Qb and Qc outputs or leave them floating? Also should I ground pins 2 & 14 (CLR) since the oscillator will run all of the time?
The unused outputs (Qn) must be left unconnected. The two CLEAR lines should be ground (as CLEAR is active high and you are not using it).

Depending on the application, you might want to incorporate a power-on clear to initialize the counters.

Welcome to AAC and thanks for including the schematic with your question. That helps.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The unused outputs (Qn) must be left unconnected. The two CLEAR lines should be ground (as CLEAR is active high and you are not using it).

Depending on the application, you might want to incorporate a power-on clear to initialize the counters.

Welcome to AAC and thanks for including the schematic with your question. That helps.
Never leave digital inputs open(not connected). As the result may be unpredictable. For TTL logic like your counter IC. Open inputs will take high level as a rule of thumb. But "noise" may change that. So any open input may behave unpredictable

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Unused INPUTS, as a general rule, should always have a current path to either Vcc/Vdd or GND/Vss, or unpredictable oscillations may occur, resulting in difficult-to-troubleshoot problems.

On the other hand, unused OUTPUTS must always be left disconnected, or you will likely have high current flow, high power dissipation in the IC, and may very well burn it up.