74189 64-bit RAM IC

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
If you're interested in 6800 series, I have all the chips (original Motorola from the 70s and 80s - new old stock) to make the microcomputer in the motorola brochure. Let me know via PM.
1621180758495.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am interested in computers (but more ICT than it) and oscillators (especially synths) I first started to program in python and then this year I started more appreciate the ICT side because I find it cooler and more fun than just think and write a program
Then there are other paths to pursue.
Take a look at Omega Onion.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
This is the first time I've ever heard anything like this about Jameco.
Same here. All of my recent Jameco orders have come with a letter certifying the authenticity of the parts. Newark does the same. Tayda Electronics doesn't provide a letter, but they claim that they only buy directly from manufacturers.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Yes, those certifications they recently added is a direct effect of the counterfeits they sold.
Jameco has been providing certifications since the mid-1990s. If any counterfeits did pass through Jameco, Jameco was more likely the victim of counterfeits than a perpetrator. Do you really think Jameco made a fortune selling counterfeit 74LS04 chips for $0.39 each?

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Purchasing "chips" is a matter of trust,
there is no way for most companies to identify all fake chips,

The machines used to print on chips are relatively cheap to purchase,

( I once had very low power chips, looked great, but ended up there was no silicon in them )

The only way I know of getting good chips, is to purchase off certified distributors for the product your purchasing.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I have daily personal experience with fakes, a bin full, my recycler loves those fakes and is richer as a result. It is a huge problem and eBay or Amazon pull the offending products quite fast when reported. Others even knowingly sell those fakes like the chinese sites everyone here seams to like so much, the best you can get is your money back when reported but they keep on pumping the junk out.
Simply post detailed, close-up images of a genuine part and a fake part you have received from JameCo. I purchase from 150+ vendors around the world, and we are tied into many standards bodies that release list and reports of fake components, oems, and information on how to tell- usually it covers a range of time over which components were manufactured (like capacitors over a 2 year period from brands X, Y, and Z, for example).

The easiest way to prove your point is to simply provide photos of genuine .v. fake.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
That's what the sweatshops do.
Well, considering that it is easier sometimes to find DIMMs or a whole old card (I have dozens of them) from vintage systems, it can be easier to find RAM chips that way that to try to source them individually. That's my point.

A 16-word x 4-bit RAM only has 8-bytes, so it's kind of pointless to work with unless just for the sake of learning. Working with a DIMM is a lot smarter. All you need are 8 of them, and you could have at least a 1MB minimum in a system.

enjoykilian

Joined May 15, 2021
Well, considering that it is easier sometimes to find DIMMs or a whole old card (I have dozens of them) from vintage systems, it can be easier to find RAM chips that way that to try to source them individually. That's my point.

A 16-word x 4-bit RAM only has 8-bytes, so it's kind of pointless to work with unless just for the sake of learning. Working with a DIMM is a lot smarter. All you need are 8 of them, and you could have at least a 1MB minimum in a system.
thx