741 Op Amp follower -- time delay?

Tom1962

Joined Sep 10, 2012
If I use a 741 op amp as a voltage follower for a 12vdc pulse, will the output pulse lag behind the input by a measurable amount of time?

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
The slew rate on a 741 is very low, so the pulse may be gone before 741 reacts. Please the pulse width you want too detect, and a schematic of the proposed circuit so we can comment.

Tom1962

Joined Sep 10, 2012
I have a quick occassional 12vdc pulse from an existing circuit which this circuit should change to 5vdc and hold a bit longer so it can be logged and light warning LED. See circuit below. All tips welcome, but in particular trying to figure out which op amp (or dedicated buffer) and inverter to use on the input line, since the pulses are only 3 or 4ms. I'm worried that a 741 or similar will be too slow to act as a good buffer for such a fast pulse. Also not sure which inverter to use on the input since the 555 triggers on low rather than high.

Attachments

ftham

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If we look at the datasheet for the 741, we'll find that it has a minimum slew rate of 0.3V/uS. Which means that it will take up to 40uS to slew from 0V to +12V, then it will take another 40uS to slew from +12V to 0V. What this mean is that the minimum pulse width need to be at least 80uS.
Please note that the output of the 741 can only swing 2V from the rail, so if supplies were connected to 0V and +12V, the output is limited to +2V to +10V.

Tom1962

Joined Sep 10, 2012
Thanks, is there an Op Amp or dedicated buffer that can act as a buffer/follower for such a fast pulse?

In the meantime, I'll have to google "slew rate"...

ftham

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Since we are only trying to generate a square pulse it might be better to use a voltage comparator (even though they are slightly more expensive) rather than an opamp. There are several reasons for this you can find details at http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/37-04/comparator.html.

Slew rate (Large signal) is similar of rise time (small signal). Though rise time is directly proportional to the Gain Bandwidth Product GBW, Slew Rate has no relation the GBW at all.

As to which comparator to use, just use one that suffice for your application, eg LM311.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I have a quick occassional 12vdc pulse from an existing circuit which this circuit should change to 5vdc and hold a bit longer so it can be logged and light warning LED. See circuit below. All tips welcome, but in particular trying to figure out which op amp (or dedicated buffer) and inverter to use on the input line, since the pulses are only 3 or 4ms. I'm worried that a 741 or similar will be too slow to act as a good buffer for such a fast pulse. Also not sure which inverter to use on the input since the 555 triggers on low rather than high.
Use a CD4069 as the inverter input to the 555.
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/CD/CD4069UBC.pdf

and use a CA3240e dual op amp, which as a slew rate of 9V/uS
http://users.rowan.edu/~jahan/ECT/ECT_2007/presentations/324-opamp.pdf

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Look at the datasheet for the ordinary NE555 or are you using a Cmos 555?
With a 12V supply, the output high of an ordinary NE555 is +10.65V, and lower if it has a load, not 12V. A Cmos 555's output goes to +12V if it has no load.