70v Commercial Amp goes to 3 speaker(s) in different zones need a volume control for each zone in one device/wall plate... Any suggestions?

Addblue

Joined Dec 27, 2019
70v Commercial Amp goes to 3 speaker(s) in different zones need a volume control for each speaker in one device/wall plate... Looking for a SFF attenuators to control the volume for each zone... Trying not to put in 3 "Electrical Boxes" if I can find something in that fits into 1 "Electrical Box"...

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
So you want centralized control of different areas (zones). Correct?

What are you using for the volume control? L-Pads? Or something else?

Importantly, what is the input to the “volume control”s? And to what will they output? Provide a sketch.

Simply, if your volume control can fit into a standard electrical box, the term you are missing is “3-gang”. Search for the following phrases.

“3 gang electrical box”​
“3 gang wall plate”​

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
How is an SFF attenuator going to help you with an audio signal?
Next question. How is the amp going to deal with three loads in parallel with volume controls? What you want is easy to describe, but hard to realize -- I think.

Addblue

Joined Dec 27, 2019
Thank for the help! I am trying to use the correct verbiage so please excuse me if I am not correct... I am just looking to control the volume in each zone independently... I know I can put in a "3 Gang" box with 3 knob controllers... I am looking to see if there is a device that can put all three in one to save wall space... maybe even a device like this https://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-2-...074X7V5RT/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 but with 3 or more knobs...

Addblue

Joined Dec 27, 2019
So you want centralized control of different areas (zones). Correct?

What are you using for the volume control? L-Pads? Or something else?

Importantly, what is the input to the “volume control”s? And to what will they output? Provide a sketch.

Simply, if your volume control can fit into a standard electrical box, the term you are missing is “3-gang”. Search for the following phrases.

“3 gang electrical box”​
“3 gang wall plate”​
THank You... Yes centralized control of different areas (zones)… Looking to use hardware (Like knob attenuators) to control volume not software... It is a 70v speaker system for a restaurant... I am trying to avoid the "# gang box" if possible...

Addblue

Joined Dec 27, 2019
How is an SFF attenuator going to help you with an audio signal?
Next question. How is the amp going to deal with three loads in parallel with volume controls? What you want is easy to describe, but hard to realize -- I think.
Thank You... Sorry, what I meant by SFF is Small Form Factor... on a 70v speaker system I can place an attunator in between each zone to control the zones volume independently... I am just looking for a way to do so with putting in 3 individual "gang boxes"... Trying to save wall space...

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
THank You... Yes centralized control of different areas (zones)… Looking to use hardware (Like knob attenuators) to control volume not software... It is a 70v speaker system for a restaurant... I am trying to avoid the "# gang box" if possible...
Your original post said otherwise. A “3 gang electrical box” is ONE box into which three standard electrical devices (I.e., three switches, three dimmers, three outlets or a combination).

As you asked, THREE volume controls may fit into ONE 3 gang electrical box.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You replied while I was posting. It wasn’t clear earlier that an objective was to conserve wall space.

So my recommendation won’t satisfy that constraint. Thus, I must admit the following: I got nuttin’. In fact, I suspect there IS nothing except a custom built solution. Good luck with that.

Addblue

Joined Dec 27, 2019
Your original post said otherwise. A “3 gang electrical box” in ONE box into which three standard electrical devices (I.e., three switches, three dimmers, three outlets or a combination).

As you asked, THREE volume controls may fit into ONE 3 gang electrical box.
Thank You... Yes I meat to combine into 1 gang similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007A99ICA/ref=psdc_11042041_t2_B074X7V5RT
but with 3 controls and for use with the 70v speaker system... Sorry for any confusion...

Addblue

Joined Dec 27, 2019
You replied while I was posting. It wasn’t clear earlier that an objective was to conserve wall space.

So my recommendation won’t satisfy that constraint. Thus, I must admit the following: I got nuttin’. In fact, I suspect there IS nothing except a custom built solution. Good luck with that.
Thank you anyways... You help was appreciated...

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Thank You... Yes I meat to combine into 1 gang similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007A99ICA/ref=psdc_11042041_t2_B074X7V5RT
but with 3 controls and for use with the 70v speaker system... Sorry for any confusion...
Did you notice from the link, that the electronics for two speakers fills an entire 1 gang electrical box? I point that out, because there is no room for a third volume control. If you could use the product in the provided link, then at a minimum you’d need a 2 gang electrical box. I’d just leave one volume control disconnected. Future expansion, when everyone wants to hang out in your restaurant for the fantastic food and fantastic music.

Addblue

Joined Dec 27, 2019
Thanks! The location is in a 4 inch width space on a 5 foot wall that I would then need to wire straight down along with a light switch and a "single gang" input control for another device... They would have to bend over to control the volume on the third zone low to the floor and I am tryin to avoid that if possible...

Addblue

Joined Dec 27, 2019
Did you notice from the link, that the electronics for two speakers fills an entire 1 gang electrical box? I point that out, because there is no room for a third volume control. If you could use the product in the provided link, then at a minimum you’d need a 2 gang electrical box. I’d just leave one volume control disconnected. Future expansion, when everyone wants to hang out in your restaurant for the fantastic food and fantastic music.
Thank You! Unfortunately, I can not use this product as it is not rated for a 70v system (or I would definitely use it)… I currently can not find one like this that supports a 70v system... Thus, I was hoping to find someone who knows of one... Even if it is a "Double Gang" box with 3 or 4 controls...

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Thank You! Unfortunately, I can not use this product as it is not rated for a 70v system (or I would definitely use it)… I currently can not find one like this that supports a 70v system... Thus, I was hoping to find someone who knows of one... Even if it is a "Double Gang" box with 3 or 4 controls...
As I suggested, IMHO finding something that meets all of your knob requirements may be impossible. Leaving you with a custom design problem.

Just wondering here... what 70V Volume Controls have you considered / own? Taking a look at then may provide insight. What is on either side of this 4” wide space?Another room? A closet? Any space at all where a control unit may be mounted out of the way (I.e., on a shelf near the ceiling in a closet)? You could probably fit, into a standard electrical box, three pots and corresponding shielded twisted pair cable connecting the pot to the control unit. Or hopefully that will trigger something in your head.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thank You... Sorry, what I meant by SFF is Small Form Factor... on a 70v speaker system I can place an attunator in between each zone to control the zones volume independently... I am just looking for a way to do so with putting in 3 individual "gang boxes"... Trying to save wall space...
I know what a SFF attenuator looks like and does. It is used for RF applications. If you say they have them for audio, I believe you.