Need help repairing air hockey scoreboard

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I know this thread is over 1 year old, but I think you are my only hope. I bought a Classic Sport 788 Air hockey table with a score board that looks exactly like this thread. The display is dim and has missing display segments. Trouble is they quit making this display in 1999, there are no manuals or anything. If you think you might be able to fix it, I'll pay for your time and parts. There just is no other way for me to get this fixed.
Check your inbox on the upper right corner of this page...

Hdsmith444

Joined Apr 9, 2018
Hi guys!! Hopefully someone is still around and maybe can answer a few questions for me.
I bought the classic sport air hockey table. Same score board as in this post. I get power to the board. Same segments are out on all numbers. The bottom of all the zeros. All the times are lit up. No sound or light from the bottom. And no score. No matter what.
Could you maybe tell me what I am looking for? And/or if anyone can repair it for me?

Thanks so much for any help!!

Check your inbox on the upper right corner of this page...
Hi GopherT, I'm having the same problem as the others here with the Classic Sport air hockey scoreboard. We purchased the table for our Kids Play Zone at church, but the scoreboard only partially works. Would you be wiling to take a look at it for us?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Hi GopherT, I'm having the same problem as the others here with the Classic Sport air hockey scoreboard. We purchased the table for our Kids Play Zone at church, but the scoreboard only partially works. Would you be wiling to take a look at it for us?
I believe GopherT has left the forum.

If you post more information, someone else might be able to help. A schematic would be most helpful.

So I have the same scoreboard but mine is for a Classic rod hockey table I'm fixing up. Some of the wires were messed with and I'm wondering if someone in the past "fried" the board.. but I'm hoping I can fix it.. Now I have little to no circuit work but (outside of wiring a old fire detector to be a water alarm) I'm willing to try. When 6v power supply connected only the 10 min light kind of comes on and the top horizontal line and the left top vertical line in the lcd come on for each number. Any help would be appreciated!

Pepi-V

Joined Jan 27, 2021
This is a great thread. I am considering buying one of these hockey tables and there are at least 2 segments out on every LED. Every number looks like a 7 instead of 0. I think the middle - works, but don't remember I know the bottom one doesn't and the lower left vertical one doesn't. If I can get the price down enough and purchase it, I will post what I find. If anyone is still around from this thread, if there is any special instructions/trouble shooting that would be great. I do question what exactly I am shorting. That one picture that shows something marked in red, was it the 2 solder joints on each end? Am I just basically bypassing the resistor when I short?

Thanks,
Karl

Pepi-V

Joined Jan 27, 2021
So I ended up getting the price down on the air hockey table. I took it apart and when using my DMV I believe I did find 2 of the 9012 resistors being bad. So since it sounds like other people have different segments go out than what I have out, I am just going to replace them all. Same with the 8050 transistors, I figured maybe they just used cheap ones. There is one more resistor that is marked 5002. I just can't find an equivalent for that. I am also going to go on the other recommendations and change the 100 ohm resistors to 330 ohm.

Can anyone help me with a replacement for the 5002 transistor?

Thanks,
Karl