7 segment display with 8051

sandy12cass

Joined Jul 8, 2010
can you pls. help me regarding in my project...
i want to display the digits 0-9 in seven segment using keypad with the use of 8051 i.c
... thanks a lot guys :)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Welcome to the forums. I moved your posts to their own thread, as the one you hijacked was not related.

Is this a "straight" 8051, or one of the later microcontroller variants? You might do a forum search on interfacing keypads and displays.

Harrington

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Think about this now Numbers 0 to 9 first of all what is it ??

How is your keypad laid out ??
Then think matrix theory perhaps ??

Columns and Rows ? Yes , No

Then what do we think ?? How to connect this to a port

So we are going to switch each column line on in turn and then see row we get a reading from

Basic algorithm for doing this would be What ??

If (( Column 4 ==1 ) And ( Row4 == 1))
Then Button F pushed Value = decimal 15

So start from there first drawing your hardware diagram connection to processor ports then we think about what BCD " Binary coded decimal " maybe

So we have to do what Draw up a truth table

15 in decimal is FF in hex is 0000 1111 binary 8 bit unsigned

table will be something along the lines of port pins (representing our segments ) mapped to decimal display Correct ?? Yes or No

So we need to draw a circuit showing this + connections to 7 Segment display and keypad

Finally implement a look up table which is going to be an array of some type index corresponding to decimal picked up by switch pressed with value in binary output to port

Flow chart or basic English algorithm showing us how we intend to do this
+ Code for the processor written either in c or may be even better still assembler

Best way to start something like this What do you think ??