6v Motor project with controls. Need

chall1525

Joined Nov 6, 2013
Hi, Im working on a project and needing suggestions on what motor I would need and some type of timed controller. Keep in mind I am a complete newb to electronic motors and what not, so keep it layman as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help

Here is what I need out of the motor
1. smaller the better
2. be able to pull around 10lbs
3. needs to rotate both ways
4. rotate slowly, 5-20 rpm
5. be able to control speed with a potentiometer would be a plus

Here is what I need of a controller
im needing the motor to go clockwise for 5 seconds, hold for 3 seconds, then go counter clockwise for 5 seconds, and hold for 3 seconds and repeat (times are probably going to change, but that's the idea). if there is a way to make that programmable by button that would be great too.
For Example id like to set the pattern by holding the button for said 5 seconds then 3 seconds to set the pattern.

I realize this is a shot in the dark, but without having any knowledge of this stuff im lost. Any help would be great, more than anything a direction to look would help as I really haven't had much luck finding what I need.

Again thanks for any help

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
2. be able to pull around 10lbs
You need to clarify 'Pull 10lbs'?

Here is what I need of a controller
im needing the motor to go clockwise for 5 seconds, hold for 3 seconds, then go counter clockwise for 5 seconds, and hold for 3 seconds and repeat (times are probably going to change, but that's the idea). if there is a way to make that programmable by button that would be great too.
For Example id like to set the pattern by holding the button for said 5 seconds then 3 seconds to set the pattern.
Is there any need for so many revolutions in this time frame?
Or just run for the period, regardless?
Any particular RPM?
Max.

chall1525

Joined Nov 6, 2013
Basically the motor would turn a pulley and rope that will have resistance from an elastic strap. Pulling against the elastic section the releasing to a resting point. 10 lbs may be over kill, just a starting point.
Hope that makes sense

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You can get an idea of what torque you need if you have the pulley, wind the pulley to the maximum needed and use a spring scale with a cord wound around the pulley and see what value you have for the scale to hold the pulley and stop it unwinding, if you get the picture?
The dia of the pulley x scale measure is the torque in in-lbs, in-ozs.
Max.

chall1525

Joined Nov 6, 2013
As far as rotations and time depends on my mounting setup. I'm looking for around 3 feet of travel, the pulley should be somewhere around the 4 inch diameter. I can do the math on that in time, I'm more or less worried about the controller and strength of the motor and usable time with a load. May have to bump up to a 12v.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A more useful control may involve using limit switches (optical or electromechanical). This way, you time the duration at the lower limit, then start the motor moving and it runs until it runs into the upper limit (and stops automatically), at which point you start timing again (different time?), start the motor in the opposite direction so that it runs until it shuts itself off at the down limit, and so on...

This makes the process independent of the motor speed; except for the stopped periods, it is self-timing.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When you say pulling on a elastic strap then releasing to a resting point.
Does it have to hold in place with a tension or?
A little more info on the design parameters would help.
Max.