6 reasons the guy who fixes your computer hates you

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-guy-whos-fixing-your-computer-hates-you/

I used to be that guy. Now I'm old and senile, and a much happier person. I have forgotten everything I used to know, except when it comes to my computer. When I got tired of fixing my boys I taught him how to fix his computer.

I remember with fondness when I turned the computer on and it said ready. It was a much simpler time,and they still had 555s!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Funny stuff. Did you guys ever see the video Tech guy vs Sale or something like that. It was funny has hell. I would dig it up and post it but I think theres some cursing in it. not sure if thats allowed.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I used to be that guy. when I was a kid. I built a computer for my aunt out of spare parts I had laying around. Gave it to her, not sold it. it worked, well (when I gave it to her). Worst decision ever. All she did was complain about how slow it was. I had to go over and "fix" it continuously and provide phone support. Finally I got sick of it and told her is was "broke", and took it with me when I left.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Yeah, you're too young to claim you forgot how. Age can have it's uses.
I didn't say I forgot how. I just said "I used to be that guy". I could be that guy if I wanted to, but I don't extend the offer or profess to be good with computers, so I never get asked. I realized all the benefits that go along with being "that guy" and got out of the game while I still could.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
This issue created a real problem for me. Since fixing computers does create at least 6 reasons to hate the person you are helping, and since I generally only fix the computers of people in my family, my brain would go into an inderterminant short circuit state similar to a robot facing an ethical conflict with the Three Laws of Robotics.

You see, I must love my familiy members and I must help any person I love, but (for at least 6 reasons) I must also hate the person I help. ... Result ... infinite loop without resololution.

My solution was to buy my entire family Mac computers. Problem solved. The computers never give me trouble and I can love my familiy without ethical conflicts. It's a little more expensive in terms of hardware cost, but less expensive overall when potential divorce lawyer fees are factored in.

Last edited: