5V PWM to 12V analog for lighting control. Arduino

Dj Leon

Joined Jan 18, 2020
Hey, so I've got to build the circuit to output the signal specified below I've currently got an Arduino UNO and I have written the code to output this. however, I can only put out 5v from my Arduino and the circuit requires 12V and 10V output, being able to switch between12 and 0v incredibly quickly. (the 10v signal is a maximum, this signal needs to be able to be controlled by software). does anyone have details of the hardware required to output this, (an opamp maybe?) a pre-made shield/ shields is preferred but I can create the circuit myself with enough detail in a diagram, thanks.1579356810303.png

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
If you are using this signal to control 12 volt lighting, use it to drive the gate of a logic level power MOS FET which switches the current through the light.

Dj Leon

Joined Jan 18, 2020
If you are using this signal to control 12 volt lighting, use it to drive the gate of a logic level power MOS FET which switches the current through the light.
yeah, I considered that, only problem is, its being multiplexed, so I have to control 36 lights at once with one analogue signal.so I don't know if a mosfet would be fast enough. (it has to be able to switch every 70 nanoseconds.)

Dj Leon

Joined Jan 18, 2020
hi Dj,
Welcome to AAC.
An OPA would be suitable, what level of driving current is required for the 12V output.
E
thanks, im not sure, but I don't imagine to would be much over what an Arduino outputs at 5v. I could be wrong. the problem with my task is that what im building this for is over 20 years old, so there's almost no info anywhere

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi,
If I follow your question correctly, a simple circuit like thsi would give a 12V pulse, it sources about 90mA.
E
Updated with timing values close to your example.
AAA 121 16.05.gif

Last edited:

Dj Leon

Joined Jan 18, 2020
Hi,
If I follow your question correctly, a simple circuit like thsi would give a 12V pulse, it sinks about 90mA.
E
ok so using this circuit I could output voltages lower than 12v yes?
sorry if its a silly question.

Last edited:

Dj Leon

Joined Jan 18, 2020
hi,
You must give an indication of the 'lower' voltage value.?
E
sorry, I didn't give enough detail. the lower voltage is anywhere from 0 to 12v.
the pulses on the diagram marked ch1, ch2 etc... change depending on the value assigned to them,

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
If you are required to set CH1 CH2 ... CH96, to a discrete voltage between 0 v and 12V, in real time, have you considered a parallel input fast 10 Bit D2A converter?
The DAC output could drive a fast, 15v powered OPA.?
E

Dj Leon

Joined Jan 18, 2020
hi,
If you are required to set CH1 CH2 ... CH96, to a discrete voltage between 0 v and 12V, in real time, have you considered a parallel input fast 10 Bit D2A converter?
The DAC output could drive a fast, 15v powered OPA.?
E
that's what I was thinking as well. but have you got links to examples of the components I would need. thanks