555 timer

scelesticsiva

Joined Nov 29, 2013
I am working on my project with BOOST CONVERTER and i am thinking of using 555 timer for the gating pulses,i just wanna know by how many ways by which i can change the duty cycle of 555(in astable mode)?

TheComet

Joined Mar 11, 2013
0%-50%, with the assumption the Threshold pin (5) remains within the voltage range 0-Vcc.

You're probably better off with generating a triangle with with a schmitt-trigger and integrator, and use that to generate the PWM with a comparator. This can be done with a single quad opamp, such as the LT1802.

Attached is an example of how to do that.

Attachments

scelesticsiva

Joined Nov 29, 2013
Yeah by connecting a diode across the resistor Rb,you can change the duty cycle below 50%,but can duty cycle be made voltage controlled?Thanks for the alternative btw,but i am specific about 555!

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Your question seems to be, "How many ways are there to use voltage to control the PWM duty cycle in a 555?" My question is, "How many ways do you already know?" :)

scelesticsiva

Joined Nov 29, 2013
i dont know any method regarding the voltage control over duty cycle,but i do know the resistances(ie,Ra and Rb) control of duty cycle and the variation of Vcc to 555 during the ON and OFF cycle (variation of capacitance charging and discharging periods)which will ultimately change the duty cycle of it!

iimagine

Joined Dec 20, 2010
Here is how I would do it: use the 555 to generate a linear ramp, add a couple transistors to use as a comparator and you are all set :)

scelesticsiva

Joined Nov 29, 2013
yeah that is a good one!but will not the efficiency be low?cause 555 continues to generate ramp signal no matter what the duty cycle is?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You're wanting to use a 555 timer in a boost converter SPST without any other specifications, and suddenly you're worried about efficiency? Why?

scelesticsiva

Joined Nov 29, 2013
ok here it goes,i am planning to use the boost converter for the most compact(no microprocessors or anything of that sort), efficient and most importantly less costlier driver for solar street lights !

iimagine

Joined Dec 20, 2010
Then why use 555? and why the need for adjustable duty cycle? If you want efficiency then just go fully discrete, build a 2 transistor abstable multivibrator and set its duty cycle to the most effective/efficient value.

scelesticsiva

Joined Nov 29, 2013
usually street lights will be on during the time from 6pm - 6am,but between the time 6-6:30 pm and 5:30-6 am there will be enough sunlight that street light can glow at its half brightness, thus saving energy!I want the duty cycle to toggle between these two levels to achieve this,now can any one give me a solution?BTW I am talking about summer season here.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I am working on my project with BOOST CONVERTER and i am thinking of using 555 timer for the gating pulses,i just wanna know by how many ways by which i can change the duty cycle of 555(in astable mode)?
This is not exactly what you asked, but have a look at the MC34063 IC, it is a simple little 8-pin IC similar to a 555 timer, but designed to make buck and or boost converters with.

Here's the circuit for a boost converter;

scelesticsiva

Joined Nov 29, 2013
Thanks a lot for the replies,i am thinking of using two bjt astable multivibrator with current mirror circuit across the capacitor, thus generating a ramp signal which in turn can be using to generate variable duty cycle pwm signals using a comparator,but i need to know whether this will work!

iimagine

Joined Dec 20, 2010
Thanks a lot for the replies,i am thinking of using two bjt astable multivibrator with current mirror circuit across the capacitor, thus generating a ramp signal which in turn can be using to generate variable duty cycle pwm signals using a comparator,but i need to know whether this will work!
First you said generating a linear ramp is inefficient... now you want to use it! Stop contradicting yourself! :eek:

Now if you want a discrete PWM, I have posted my discrete PWM version awhile ago, you can use that for reference or ignore it.

scelesticsiva

Joined Nov 29, 2013
IImagine,i think efficiency and compactness cant sail in the same boat,had to compromise any one in this case,since i am planning to commercialize the circuit,compromising efficiency would be the best choice coz people are not gonna look for the efficiency,rather they look for what a product does and how much does it cost(not in the intention of offending you in any way!)

what does "micro" mean?