555 Timer Turn Signals/Hazard Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

juddcharlesw

Joined Nov 27, 2013
Hello,

I am attempting to simulate a hazard light/turn signal combo. I have implemented a 555 astable timer and one clocked J-K flip flop, as seen in my schematic attachment. I needed them to flash at different rates, hence the J-K to create a slower waveform. I am using the slower flashing rate from this J-K to drive the turn signals, and have the hazard lights connected directly to the 555 for a faster rate.

I have both signals working independently at the slower frequency, and additionally have the hazard lights working at twice the speed of the turn signal flash. The problem is, when the hazard lights are flashing, I need the turn signal function to be disabled. Currently when the hazard lights are flashing and I turn on either turn signal, the slower waveform from the turn signal is seen in the LED output as well, creating a strange output frequency.

I'm sure there is some simple logic here that I'm missing, but I just can't put it together. I need the hazard light to completely shut off the turn signal inputs when it is enabled. Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Attachments

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
You could replace U3A/U4A with NOR gates and have the hazard input feed a 1 into the two new inputs. That would present a hard 0 on the inputs to U1A/U2A and block any signal inputs.

You could also hold the JK f/f in reset whenever the hazards were on.

juddcharlesw

Joined Nov 27, 2013
Thanks so much for your reply. When I replace U3A/U4A with NOR gates it partially solves the problem. However, now the LEDs only work as long as the left/right signals are enabled. I lose the ability to turn the hazard lights on by themselves.

How would you propose holding the JK in reset mode when hazard is enabled? Whenever I attempt this, since the hazard lights are a clocked output as well, it doesn't hold the JK in a permanent reset state, but pulses with the hazard light output frequency. I can only utilize the three switches that I have in place. Thanks again for your help.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
74LS76(U14) is a TTL and its Vcc just for 4.75V~5.25V, if you over the voltage then it will damage the IC, and all other TTLs have the same situation.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.