555 Timer Question

Sonoma_Dog

Joined Jul 24, 2008
Hi all

I am tying to design a 555 circuit that can control the duty cycle by an input voltage. Is this possible?

I have looked into many 555 circuits in the pass two days, but non of them are voltage control.

Thanks in advance

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Set up a standard astable with two resistors and one cap.

Give an AC voltage input on pin 5 (CV) and the freq will change within a range of 20-50%(or so) from the capacitor set astable freq. Duty cycle changes some as well.

This is a Freq modulation scheme and has much less affect over the output than other control methods

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Set up the standard 5-95% variable PWM circuit that uses two diodes and a pot.

Substitute a digital pot for the variable resistance one and you would have a voltage controlled duty cycle 555

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As Bertus said, LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers has it in chapter 5.

The frequency remains stable, and the duty cycle can be adjusted from 0% to 100% with tweaking of the resistors. It is fairly linear to boot, but if it isn't linear enough it can be made more so with a transistor/resistor addition.

The rest of this article also has many examples how to use this configuration in other circuits.

Sonoma_Dog

Joined Jul 24, 2008
some more questions.

I was just looking at the comparators , and they can not sink too much current. Compare to the 555, it can sink at least 100mA.
I can easily throw a BJT or MOSFET into the circuit and make this work, but i am trying to make this circuit as cheap as possible.

is there any other ways that will make this possible? I don't really care about remaining the frequency stable. I just need the duty cycle change over voltage.

John Lau

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You did notice the transistor driver? It will go to 100 ma easily, or more, even though it is a PNP device to Vcc. Just remove the LED and resistor on the emitter. Are you needing to ground?