555 timer circuit for a newbie

cOrillian

Joined May 12, 2008
I just recently got into electronics and can do the basics, but i want to start making things flash, i have found some plans to make a 555 timer circuit but i dont understand them, can anyone provide something that states what you have to do and where
something like:
put component X into hole Y and so on.

thanks for the help

cOrillian

Joined May 12, 2008
Thanks but its all just the maths behind it, i remember a website i found and propmptly lost, i think it was on a yahoo board (it had a frame on the right of the screen doing adverts) and it showed in pictures and words exactly what you had to do and when, anyone know of this site?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Here's one for you:
http://www.doctronics.co.uk/555.htm
It shows a graphic of the components connected to a typical prototyping breadboard.
If you don't have a breadboard, you can buy one at Radio Shack. There are many less expensive places to buy a breadboard, but shipping costs will eat you up if you're just buying one or two items.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have to wonder why no one suggested Volume 4, Experiments of the All About Circuits eBook? It gives a step by step layout how to play with this an more.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Why don't you make yourself a step-by-step checklist of things to do in order to build the circuit?

It will be good practice for you.

Another helpful technique is to simply print out the schematic diagram, and when you complete one of the connections and you are certain that it is correct, make a small diagonal pencil mark across the schematic representation of the physical part's connection.

If this sounds too difficult to do for the circuit you wish to build, try practicing up on some easier circuits, like those built with discrete components; resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors - instead of integrated circuits.

Losing track of which physical pin on an IC relates to what schematic pin on an IC is, will spell disaster for your circuit. That can be hard to keep track of when you are first learning. Successfully constructing circuits that are more simple, and progressing on to somewhat more difficult and complex circuits will build your confidence.

Attempting to take on a circuit that is too complex for your level will result in a good deal of frustration and discouragement. Please don't do that to yourself.

Before one can run, they must learn to walk; but before that they must learn to crawl.

Take it in smaller steps for the moment. You'll eventually get it. Try the easier things. You'll be much happier for it, and you will learn more.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Amen Bro. My first step was a Radio Shack 150 in 1 projects kit. I didn't even let the smoke out, but I did get to create some things that weren't in the projects book.

555 is a subtle design. I'm still learning new ideas for it, while it is a good chip for newbies it isn't a simple chip.

The AAC eBook mentions a protoboard at the beginning of its experiments volume, this and the tools they suggest for it are good ways to get started.

cOrillian

Joined May 12, 2008
i will try to re read it and go through it again, its just that im not sure what connections goes where and it would be helpful if the schematic actually looked like my chip, i might try to get various kits from places and see what i find