555 timer 1.5seconds delay.

kwanchong

Joined Dec 20, 2010
Hi, I'm currently working on a small car that moves forward until a counter counts till 7, then stop for 1.5 seconds using a 555timer in monostable state, before reversing again. The counter is fully operational but I'm having problems with my 555 timer.

As shown in the image below, the 3inputs of the NAND gate is coming from the LSB to MSB of the mod-8 counter that I'm using to count to 7.

Please do offer me suggestions on how to solve this problem I'm facing.

Thanks!

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This should have been with your old thread, Need some help on 555 timer..., since it is a continuation of the same problem.

I apologize, I thought you knew more about 555s. This is found in the 555 datasheet, datasheets are always your friend. A proper 555 monostable must have a signal conditioner. Complete schematics and theory of operation is found here...

555 Monostable

You need to add R3 and C1 shown in that schematic.

BTW, this article has been released to the AAC book as 555 MONOSTABLE MULTIVIBRATOR.

This is another circuit I drew showing the same schematic (different parts designations).

kwanchong

Joined Dec 20, 2010
Hi, sorry for the confusion, i was kinda desperate for answers because the deadline is coming up and we still need to order the components and to solder the components. I've done exactly what you've drawn up. however, is it possible to stop the counter at 7 and not continuing to count from 0-7 repeatedly?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@ Bill_Marsden,
Thanks for reporting the extra thread.

@kwanchong,
I merged the replies on the other thread to the new opened thread.
This may cause some stange view, but all posts are together now.

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thanks Bertus.

kwanchong,

You almost have everything you need. Looking at it you will need to invert the 555 output and feed the signal to a AND gate to block the incoming signal to the counters. This was why I said this resembles a freq counter, it is the same way it works. You could use a 4023, it is qty 3 3 input NAND gates, two of the gates can make a two input AND gate. You will still need an inverter, you can use a 4049.

Or you could use a 4049 hex inverter and a 4081 quad AND gate to make the logic.

Important! Do not forget bypass capacitors for each chip, and more importantly, do not forget to tie unused inputs of unused gates to ground!

Could you post your counter schematic again? I think it got lost in the shuffle.

I would draw the schematic for you, but this is obviously homework, and we try to help short of doing the work. This is very much a teaching site.

kwanchong

Joined Dec 20, 2010
Hi Bill_Marsden, the counter is attached below. There seems to be a slight problem with the 555timer as well, the output stays high forever after the counter counts to 7, it does not go low. I'll attach the timer and the whole circuit as well.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The 555 circuit will work if wired correctly. Ergo, you have a wiring error somewhere. The 555 article explains why this is so (see theory of operation). There is no circumstance you would have 2.5V on pin 3, the 555 will either be a high (3.8VDC) or a low (0.1VDC), with a 5VDC power supply.

There needs to be a 2 input AND gate between the signal source and the counter. The 555 feeds the second input of the AND gate.

Are you doing this only with a simulator?

Last edited: