555 frequency formula

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi,

Sorry if this is off topic.

I'm looking for for a way/formula like this page:

http://www.electronicdesignworks.com/utilities/555_component_finder/555_component_finder.htm

Can someone please explain to me how this works. I find the page very useful, and I would like to put the formula in an open office spreadsheet/Excel, save it on my laptop, and work on it off line. (Meaning when I'm in my sailboat. Looking forward to lazy days in the summertime. I have aprx 150cm snow in my garden.)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That reminds me, I also made this for that kind of application a while back...

It is missing some nifty circuits I've put in my cookbook, but it covers the basics.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Thank You for your replies. I've read your articles mr. Marsden, and they are leading me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hi,

Sorry if this is off topic.

I'm looking for for a way/formula like this page:

http://www.electronicdesignworks.com/utilities/555_component_finder/555_component_finder.htm

Can someone please explain to me how this works. I find the page very useful, and I would like to put the formula in an open office spreadsheet/Excel, save it on my laptop, and work on it off line. (Meaning when I'm in my sailboat. Looking forward to lazy days in the summertime. I have aprx 150cm snow in my garden.)
Hei Jens
I think they have made the program using the formula in the 555 data sheet. And a database with standard resistor and capacitor values. I tested the site and some of the values suggested are only theoretical values at the best

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
By the way. Have you looked at micro controller units(MCU) technology Jens. You can get MCUs in a 8 pin dip. You can do a lot cool stuff with those chips. And I know you like programming.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Programming is great fun! :D

I tried to build a few 16F84A programmers, but I didn't get it to work properly. At least that is what I think...

I will get back to programming chips.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Sorry the link was for my eyes only. Go to www.elfa.se then click on the picture with the brain. Select the PICKIT 2 Starter Kit link. The link is to a Scandinavian equivalent of the Digi-key store