555 Chip to keep power on for 1min?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokz_2005

Joined May 14, 2011
Hi guys, how can I activate a switch by pressing it once but I want the power to flow continuously for 1min I was told to use a 555 timer on a bistable layout.

Which components would I need exactly. It is to run on a 12v DC power supply.

Thank you

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
A 555 timer in bistable mode will keep the output on until you reset it. What you want is a 555 in monostable mode (like the one simo_x posted). Here's one that is more complete:

A 1000uF capacitor and a 56K resistor should give you a delay of about a minute. If you want it exact, I suggest you get a 100K variable and set it to where it gives a 1 min. output.

EDIT: Forgot to mention-- Put a normally-open push-button switch between "trigger" and gnd, with a pull-up resistor (about 4.7K)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A 555 timer in bistable mode will keep the output on until you reset it. What you want is a 555 in monostable mode (like the one simo_x posted). Here's one that is more complete:

A 1000uF capacitor and a 56K resistor should give you a delay of about a minute. If you want it exact, I suggest you get a 100K variable and set it to where it gives a 1 min. output.

EDIT: Forgot to mention-- Put a normally-open push-button switch between "trigger" and gnd, with a pull-up resistor (about 4.7K)
I started to comment about the lack of pull up resistor, then saw your edit. It is a major flaw. The pull up resistor is not optional, and it wasn't too long ago I had to argue about it in another thread.

rokz_2005

Joined May 14, 2011
Yup I do. Basically my circuit involves 3 feature.
1 double tap the switch to activate power
2 after activating power, I want the power to run con
3 to press the button again to break the circuit. to stop the 1min run

Status
Not open for further replies.