50W Car Amp

Overclocked2300

Joined Apr 24, 2005
Alright well I have this 50W amp from a friend. 2 Channels use for cars (by the way it looks). I have sufficant power (12V using a ATX 300W PSU), but if I turn up the volume on the input up to much it cuts out, but the amp has been running for a while. It does the same thing if I turn up the balance too much to one channel (but Im only using 1 Channel)

The amp heats up pretty good no matter what the load. I assume to make it stop from cutting out is to cool it a bit. It just uses passive cooling.

It also isnt stable at time (I get static, poping..etc) I assume this is because of thermal run away. When the amp is cool or starting up its fine.

So is the answer to cool it off with a fan?

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi,

i can't definitely say a cooling fan is the answer, but give it a try first, if it does not cut out,, then heat was just the problem. if it still cuts out something else is wrong.

moz

NickC84

Joined Sep 13, 2005
Originally posted by Overclocked2300@Sep 8 2005, 10:54 PM
Alright well I have this 50W amp from a friend. 2 Channels use for cars (by the way it looks). I have sufficant power (12V using a ATX 300W PSU), but if I turn up the volume on the input up to much it cuts out, but the amp has been running for a while. It does the same thing if I turn up the balance too much to one channel (but Im only using 1 Channel)

The amp heats up pretty good no matter what the load. I assume to make it stop from cutting out is to cool it a bit. It just uses passive cooling.

It also isnt stable at time (I get static, poping..etc) I assume this is because of thermal run away. When the amp is cool or starting up its fine.

So is the answer to cool it off with a fan?
[post=10216]Quoted post[/post]​
The AMP cuts out or the Sound cuts out? If the AMP cuts out it's thermal protection kicking in and yeah its getting too hot. If the sound cuts out then its clipping. Either way a 50W amp shoulden't get really hot, I think your pushing it way to hard either way. Back off it a bit if you want the amp to last.