50Hz to 60hz Frequency converter

Frequency_converter

Joined May 12, 2011
Where can i find a oscillator that input is 50Hz/110V and out 60Hz?
Am making a 50-60 frequency converter, i already making the rectifier side of the circuit, but now i need a oscillator that can out 60Hz from 50Hz input...
Thanks you, this is an important project.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It would be possible to use phase locked loop tech for the converstion, but it would make a lot more sense to convert one to DC, then use that to power a different oscillator. If you need accuracy you could use a crystal, and divide it down. Overall this would be much simpler. The phase locked loop method would be a bit more complex IMO.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
If you can program a PIC microcontroller please see this page;
http://www.romanblack.com/one_sec.htm
about half way down the page there are a number of simple but high accuracy systems for 50-60 Hz conversion. They use very cheap common PICs like the 12F675.

Here is one in action, detecting 50Hz input from a diode and generating an exact math-locked 60Hz output;

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
If you're wanting to run any sort of load off this you'll need to use a transformer and rectifier setup to get the 110 down to 12 - 14V then use it to drive a common inverter that outputs 60 HZ.

At least that seems to be the simplest way to me.

Frequency_converter

Joined May 12, 2011
That is the step we taking, we already have the rectifier circuit is just the oscillator that giving the trouble. We try a bubba oscillator, not getting that 60Hz output we need, plus we ain't getting a sine wave either. The closest we get to 60Hz is with the used of a wein bridge oscillator, but the sine wave has sum ripple in it........

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
Buy a 50Hz AC motor and a 60Hz AC generator/alternator. Connect them with 2 pulleys and a belt. Calculate the pulley ratio as close as practical and make one of the pulleys variable pitch. Fine tune the pulley pitch till you get exactly 60Hz.

A simple WB oscillator by itself doesn't have ripple. There's probably something wrong with your power supply.

You can digitally synthesize a sinewave with a ring counter and weighted resistors. See page 667 in the Art of Electronics. They use a 4015 counter, you could use a μC just as well.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
The schools had some master clocks using crystal controlled 50 Hz oscillator with power amplifier to drive 50 Hz timing motors; nice idea but medium term accuracy was poor. ' Used a PLL IC to generate line ,60 Hz, controlled 300 Hz which was then counted down to 50 HZ, then filtered a little & amplified with origional amplifier. Worked for many years. If your line frequency is 50 HZ should work in reverse just fine.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The web page I linked to in post #5 has 50Hz and 60Hz standalone xtal based sinewave generators, and also 50 to 60Hz conversion devices.

All they require is a $1 PIC chip and not much of anything else. ;)