50 Watt LED driver

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
That's one of the problems with doing it that way. Here are the sims at high and low line. Slightly over the recommended at high line :cool: and about 1/2 power at low line. :( Probably not to satisfying. Throw in the variation in Vf that you would need to trim out. Add a guesstimate on the temperature of the led at high line.
The method works fine for small LEDs and regulated supplies because there can be a regulated supply and only a small variation in Vf. All those problems go away with constant current.

Attachments

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
All this information is certainly interesting. I am going to be perusing the building of my own LED driver.

When I first posted my request It was suggested that I purchase a power supply. I have found a mean well power supply PSC-100 with a 27.6 Volt 2.4 Amp output. Would I be able to drive the 50 Watt LED directly from this power supply. Would I be required to add any extra components.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It is a charger. It has the capacity to provide high current depending on the battery capacity ( discharged level). I donno how it will behave when a LED is connected.

You can try it with a series resistor connected. Follow post #16 and find what value resistor can provide the LED current of 2.1A