$50-75 Soldering Iron Station Suggestion?

somegeek

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I'd like to step up from the $6 pencil I've been replacing tips on for years to something more durable and controlled. Any suggestions in this price range? This will be used primarily for small home projects.

Thanks in advance.

somegeek

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
All they usually need is a new tip. If more, the magnetic sleeve assmbley is available (just unscrew heater shaft and replace). I have seen some with the switch replaced (some random switch used as replacement) and some have a non-OEM bulb. The whole device is really simple so ther is not much to them. That is why they last 30 years or more.

stoopkid

Joined Mar 3, 2011
Hakko fx-888, you can get it for $80 new. Goofy looking thing but I love it. To be fair other than it I've only ever had crappy radioshack irons.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Hakko fx-888, you can get it for $80 new. Goofy looking thing but I love it. To be fair other than it I've only ever had crappy radioshack irons.
+1.. great station.. We've got a bunch of them at work.. no problems ever and they get used and abused.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Not familiar with Hakko, probably a good unit but if I didn't have my Pace solder/desolder station I would be looking for a Weller TCP. The one I was using before I bought the Pace was over 20 years old, has the black base which will indicate how old it is. I repaired the iron a couple times over the years but it did it's job and wouldn't hesitate to go back to it..

somegeek

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Planning on purchasing the Hakko FX-888 unit. What size chisel tip should I be picking up for smaller work? 2.4mm?

somegeek

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
For close thru-hole work, I like the 900M-T-1.2D. Doesn't the FX-888 come with a 1.6mm tip; maybe you should try that before you decide.