400w TDA2030A OR 200WTDA2030

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostafa_gordy

Joined Feb 28, 2012
hello ... :D
I am Not totaly beginner in electronic but partly beginner in Audio Amplifier .
my orginal specialty in the Chemistry ...
please guide me to build this Amplifier .
I would to use two TIP36b +two 2N3055
and two of TDA2030A (18W +-44V) in project
1-Whats schematic is best and why ??
2- possible connect this amplifier to PC OR home cinema .(in german article :input impedance = 22k Ohm) :confused::confused::confused:
3-whats best function this amplifier :for subwoofer or coaxial or woofer speaker and whats output impedance (2*TIP36b+2*2N3055
4- WHATS BOX for this circuit (Empty ATX PSU IS GOOD) :eek:
5- heatsink need for transistor and TWO IC ?:confused:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The first thing I notice is this amplifier has no provision for soft start at turn on and turn off which means the speakers are going to get hit with the big ugly thump.

I am not certain about the loop stability: adding external transistors significantly increases gain, but the R-C compensation is basic as provided just for a single 2030. It may work, maybe not. I recall building a similar bridge amp using the TDA2003 and I had to tweak the compensation.

To be completely honest: I worked as a designer at fairchild Semiconductor and did the design for the TDA2030 back in about 1979. It is intended for "medium" fidelity applications (even 30+ years ago), it's not a device I would use to build a home entertainment system around.

Stereo amplifiers are so cheap these days it really makes no sense to build one. Just my opinion.

from ebay:

Attachments

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Have you found out how much your transformer for this project will cost. I am quite sceptical to the numbers here. Also the 2N3055 is not very suited for audio applications. Both designs appears to be somewhat old. You can get power audio ICs that include a lot like muting and thermal protection. As an example take a look at the TDA7294V

mostafa_gordy

Joined Feb 28, 2012
Have you found out how much your transformer for this project will cost. I am quite sceptical to the numbers here. Also the 2N3055 is not very suited for audio applications. Both designs appears to be somewhat old. You can get power audio ICs that include a lot like muting and thermal protection. As an example take a look at the TDA7294V
I am change project :because power transformer 500va not cheap & ....
now my project is : Single Supply High Power Amplifier TDA2030A + npn/pnp :

http://elcircuits.com/single-supply-tda2030-and-tip41-tip42-2sc10612sa761-or-bd908-bd907

severl question :
1- whats way to increase power of this circuit ?
2- TIP36B & 2N3055 IS woking in this circuit or not? how many change circuit with use these Transistors
3- best circuit of two : Single Supply TDA2030A BD907 BD908 or TDA2030A Bridge with split power supply 34w Vs-+16
( DC VOLTAGE of my Transformer is 29 v )
4- what is way to increase current of transistor output without voltage increaseing ( darlington for every npn and pnp or parallel transistor)

please guide me to
regad .

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
now my project is : Single Supply High Power Amplifier TDA2030A + npn/pnp :severl question :
1- whats way to increase power of this circuit ?
This circuit is in the datasheet for the TDA2030A so look at its specs:
35W at fairly low distortion when the supply is 39VDC.

2- TIP36B & 2N3055 IS working in this circuit or not? how many change circuit with use these Transistors
Your old transistors are almost the same as the old transistors used in the datasheet so the results will be the same.

3- best circuit of two : Single Supply TDA2030A BD907 BD908 or TDA2030A Bridge with split power supply 34w Vs-+16
( DC VOLTAGE of my Transformer is 29 v )
A single or a dual polarity supply will be the same.
One TDA2030A driving two [power transistors has an output of 35w into 4 ohms when the supply totals 39.
The bridged two TDA2030A amplifiers produce 34W into 8 ohms when the supply totals 32V. The ICs get VERY hot.

4- what is way to increase current of transistor output without voltage increasing ( darlington for every npn and pnp or parallel transistor)
Ohm's Law says that you cannot increase the current without increasing the voltage. A bridged amplifier almost doubles the voltage which almost doubles the current. So the power is almost 2 x 2= 4 times (it is 3.5 times). When the load is 4 ohms instead of 8 ohms then the current is almost doubled so the power is also almost doubled.
Simply calculate the maximum peak-to-peak output voltage needed for the impedance of your speaker. Then calculate the needed peak current.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
diy work is didactic . pleasure. sloth is not good select.
I was being polite. There are a lot of things a decent amp needs which I don't think you would be able to design. safe turn ON/OFF is one, also they have current limiting in the output device to keep them from blowing up the amplifier or frying speakers.

I would STRONGLY advise following this excellent advice:

You can get power audio ICs that include a lot like muting and thermal protection. As an example take a look at the TDA7294V
There are many fully integrated power amp devices that give excellent sound.

The smart engineer knows when it makes no sense to reinvent the wheel.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Many half-decent inexpensive audio amplifier circuits or ICs shut down if the output is shorted.
The circuit you are looking at burns out instead.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Many half-decent inexpensive audio amplifier circuits or ICs shut down if the output is shorted.
The circuit you are looking at burns out instead.
Good point. Adding external power devices means they have no current limiting or thermal protection which the circuitry inside the IC does.

mostafa_gordy

Joined Feb 28, 2012
Your link is in a foreign language and maybe we must register to see something.
Please copy the schematic as a PNG file type and post it HERE with your reply.
possible to replace BDX54C & BDX53C(hfe=750) WITH TIP36B & 2N3055 (hfe=20)
or not possile?
please help me to builde this project correct!!

Attachments

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
possible to replace BDX54C & BDX53C(hfe=750) WITH TIP36B & 2N3055 (hfe=20)
or not possile?
please help me to builde this project correct!!
As said before. I would not have used those transistors. Can you not get any other? And is it any reason why you have to use the TDA2030.

mostafa_gordy

Joined Feb 28, 2012
As said before. I would not have used those transistors. Can you not get any other? And is it any reason why you have to use the TDA2030.
thank you for comment
my answer is :
possible to replace pairs Drlingtons (BDX54C &BDX53C) WITH tip36 and 2n3055 with very low Hfe prameter and ......
?????
nice day ......

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
thank you for comment
my answer is :
possible to replace pairs Drlingtons (BDX54C &BDX53C) WITH tip36 and 2n3055 with very low Hfe prameter and ......
?????
nice day ......
No need to be impudent, is it! Why not go ahead and build the last power amplifier you posted. And then do some experimenting. That is all I can say.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The latest circuit is almost the same as figure 12 in the datasheet for the TDA2030A.
It does not use and does not need darlington output transistors because its output power is not high.

It is an ordinary stereo amplifier that is not bridged. Since its supply voltage is only 36V then its output power per channel is only 28W at clipping into 4 ohm speakers.

If the two amplifiers are properly bridged then the output power will be about 100W at clipping into 4 ohms.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I also think a bridged setup, using only TDA2030. Will be a much better setup. Than anything else you have shown so far.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I also think a bridged setup, using only TDA2030. Will be a much better setup. Than anything else you have shown so far.
The bridged amplifier in the datasheet that uses two TDA2030A ICs without additional output transistors has an output of only 34W into 8 ohms with a 32V supply. The current and heating might be too high if the speaker is 4 ohms and/or if the supply voltage is higher.

A much better amplifier IC is the LM3886. It is truly high fidelity, is inexpensive and has an output of 68W into 4 ohms with a 56V supply or 50W into 8 ohms with a 70V supply.
Two LM3886 amplifier ICs can be bridged to give an output of 110W into 4 ohms with a 40V supply if the heatsink is really good. With two ICs bridged, the power into 8 ohms is 120W with a 56V supply.

LM3886 amplifier ICs are shown in National Semi's (TI now) application note AN1192 paralleled and bridged to provide 150W and 200W into 4 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.