400w TDA2030A OR 200WTDA2030

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostafa_gordy

Joined Feb 28, 2012
The latest circuit is almost the same as figure 12 in the datasheet for the TDA2030A.
It does not use and does not need darlington output transistors because its output power is not high.

It is an ordinary stereo amplifier that is not bridged. Since its supply voltage is only 36V then its output power per channel is only 28W at clipping into 4 ohm speakers.

If the two amplifiers are properly bridged then the output power will be about 100W at clipping into 4 ohms.
ok .
but I want 100w+100w Streeo setup or 200w bridge so what is transistors ?
what is circuit revision (semiconductors - resistors - Capacitors and ....)

:rolleyes:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
ok .
I am sorry that you found an amplifier circuit on a foreign website that lies about its output power. It uses fairly old and low power TDA2030A amplifier ICs then adds old darlington high current transistors to conduct high current but as shown as a stereo amplifier there is no high current.

I think the terminal "2" has something to do with bridging both amplifier ICs but since the article is in a foreign language then we don't know.

There must be a SPANISH electronics chat site where people can see what you are asking about?

mostafa_gordy

Joined Feb 28, 2012
I am sorry that you found an amplifier circuit on a foreign website that lies about its output power. It uses fairly old and low power TDA2030A amplifier ICs then adds old darlington high current transistors to conduct high current but as shown as a stereo amplifier there is no high current.

I think the terminal "2" has something to do with bridging both amplifier ICs but since the article is in a foreign language then we don't know.

There must be a SPANISH electronics chat site where people can see what you are asking about?
ok ... ok
sorry for many question MR. Audioguru
also my language is not spanish or english (my poor grammar english)
but I used "GoogleTranslation service" to translate Spanish to English .:cool:
please see Attached Translated file of "Elektronika Hobby
Wzmacniacz 2x50W lub 1x100W"
please guide me to make correct circuit for 100w+100w streeo or 200w mono:rolleyes:
regaeds

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
also my language is not spanish or english
I know. You are probably ****.

I used "GoogleTranslation service" to translate Spanish to English
The translation is horrible and I cannot understand it.

please guide me to make correct circuit for 100w+100w streeo or 200w mono
The old poorly performing TDA2030A IC has a typical output power of only 18W into 4 ohms or only 12W into 8 ohms. Adding transistors to its output is a Mickey Mouse trick. You don't even want to use the original old Indian darlington transistors.

As I said on the other website you should use modern high fidelity LM3886 amplifier ICs.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
ok .

:rolleyes:
I think the bridge amp shown in the OP (left hand schematic) could theoretically put out close to 200W as shown in bridge using a 4 Ohm speaker. The volateg rails are +/-22v, so if the top transistor pulls up 18V (4V sat) and the same going negative (down -18V) that could give a maximum of about 36V peak signal swing for the "top" of a sine wave. The negative side would have the same peak voltage, opposite polarity across the speaker.

A sine wave which is 36V peak has an RMS value of about 26V. If you square that and divide by 4 ohms, you get about 160W. If you used a 3.2 Ohm speaker, and the transistors could supply the 10+ Amp peak currents, you could get 200W.

That said, I still think the design sucks overall for the reasons already listed in previous posts.

mostafa_gordy

Joined Feb 28, 2012
I know. You are probably ****.

The translation is horrible and I cannot understand it.

The old poorly performing TDA2030A IC has a typical output power of only 18W into 4 ohms or only 12W into 8 ohms. Adding transistors to its output is a Mickey Mouse trick. You don't even want to use the original old Indian darlington transistors.

As I said on the other website you should use modern high fidelity LM3886 amplifier ICs.
thanks for spend time for me . i not found lm3886 in my city....forever...
I understand => 44 v*3.5 A =154 Watt in each Channel of TDA2030A circuit .
finale word circuit work fine with TIP36B and 2N3055 or not good working ????
power = 154w in 44v (-22+22 v) or not

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
finale word circuit work fine with TIP36B and 2N3055 or not good working ????
The TIP36B looks like a pretty strong choice (25A/100V) but the 2N3055 is weaker. It's only 15A/60V. The 2N5885 would be a much better choice, since it is also a 25A device it more closely matches the TIP36B. The 2N 3055 may work, but may not have enough current gain to put out >10A peaks.

power = 154w in 44v (-22+22 v) or not
Assuming a 3.2 or 4 Ohm speaker using the bridge design, it will put out close to that power, but only if the output stage can drive 10A or more.

This design has another very bad flaw: there is absolutely no idling current in the external power transistors since the series resistors of 2.2 Ohms into the 2030 devices won't generate a VBE until it draws about 3A at which point the external transistors "cut in". An output stage with no idling current will probably have crossover distortion at higher power levels.

The other potential problem is the external transistors change the gain of the circuit and the 2030 may or may not be stable. I have no way to calculate the answer on that, you have to build it and test it.

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
NOTE:

There appears to be a problem with the schematic for the bridged design.

I believe it says "2R2" for the resistors in the + and - leads of the 2030 across the VBE of the power transistors.

That would be a 2.2 Ohm resistor which would need about 3A to turn the transistor on.... but the 2030 can only handle about 3A so that doesn't leave any current for driving the base of the external power transistors. They won't be able to drive current with insufficient base drive.

I would try changing those resistors to about 6.8 Ohms.

I have a bad feeling that design in the schematic was never built up and tested because it won't work right as shown.

mostafa_gordy

Joined Feb 28, 2012
NOTE:

There appears to be a problem with the schematic for the bridged design.

I believe it says "2R2" for the resistors in the + and - leads of the 2030 across the VBE of the power transistors.

That would be a 2.2 Ohm resistor which would need about 3A to turn the transistor on.... but the 2030 can only handle about 3A so that doesn't leave any current for driving the base of the external power transistors. They won't be able to drive current with insufficient base drive.

I would try changing those resistors to about 6.8 Ohms.

I have a bad feeling that design in the schematic was never built up and tested because it won't work right as shown.
you said NOT enough CURRENT to Drive base of Transistors (5A)
so use Drlingtons instead of Normal BJT will necessary solution ???
Iwant to Simulation this circuit but my Proteus Simulation is not Possible Because NO model simulation for TDA2030A or LM1875 or TDA Audio Amplifier familiy in Proteus 7.7
you can help me in simulation ?

Attachments

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
you said NOT enough CURRENT to Drive base of Transistors (5A)
so use Drlingtons instead of Normal BJT will necessary solution ???
I don't know if they will work at all. That will increase the transfer gain even more. I would assume going in this design is unstable, and I would think using a darlington would make it more so.

The "trick" of using an external power transistor with a series resistor to drive it's VBE has been used a thousand times to increase the current on linear voltage regulators and it always meant they needed additional loop compensation. I have no belief this design will work as drawn, it will need tweaking.

Iwant to Simulation this circuit but my Proteus Simulation is not Possible Because NO model simulation for TDA2030A or LM1875 or TDA Audio Amplifier familiy in Proteus 7.7
you can help me in simulation ?
Sure, Simulations are so accurate when predicting stability and phase margin.

What I keep trying to say is that I don't think this circuit has ever been built as drawn, and I think just looking it won't work correctly as shown. A simulation is USELESS, you would need to build it and fix all the problems.

The one thing that really bothers me:

Any designer knows the fastest way to get an amplifier to oscillate is put impedance in the supply leads. It's why we always use large capacitors near the supply terminals. But this design has 2.2 Ohm resistors in line and no caps at the V+ and V- terminals of the 2030 devices. I would think the part needs caps at it's supply terminals.

If you are actually determined to build this, don't waste time trying to simulate it. Build it and start testing.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The one thing that really bothers me:

Any designer knows the fastest way to get an amplifier to oscillate is put impedance in the supply leads. It's why we always use large capacitors near the supply terminals. But this design has 2.2 Ohm resistors in line and no caps at the V+ and V- terminals of the 2030 devices. I would think the part needs caps at it's supply terminals.

If you are actually determined to build this, don't waste time trying to simulate it. Build it and start testing.
The TDA2030 have in the absolute maximum rating section a supply voltage equal to +/- 18 volt. My guess is that those resistors are meant to deal with this:eek:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The TDA2030 have in the absolute maximum rating section a supply voltage equal to +/- 18 volt. My guess is that those resistors are meant to deal with this:eek:
No, look again.
The current in those rersistors from the TDA2030A amplifier turns on the extra power transistors that boost the output current.

The circuit is on the datasheet so if the manufacturer knows anything about electronics then it should work fine. Oh no and Chow, ST Micro is Italian??

mostafa_gordy

Joined Feb 28, 2012
No, look again.
The current in those rersistors from the TDA2030A amplifier turns on the extra power transistors that boost the output current.

The circuit is on the datasheet so if the manufacturer knows anything about electronics then it should work fine. Oh no and Chow, ST Micro is Italian??
please simple english for me ?
i cant understand

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The TDA2030A amplifier IC draws extra current through its power supply pins when it drives a load.
There are resistors in series with the power supply pins.
When the amplifier draws more current when driving a load, then the resistors have a voltage drop.
The voltage drop is used to turn on power transistors that allow higher supply voltage and lower speaker impedance for higher output power.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
No, look again.

The originator of the TDA 2030 was SGS Microelectronica, which I believe was Italian back in the 70's. I think it got bought later and became SGS - Thomson(?)

That "200W" design is not anywhere on the SGS-Thomson data sheet:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/SGSThomsonMicroelectronics/mXurvyq.pdf

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The TDA2030A amplifier IC draws extra current through its power supply pins when it drives a load.
There are resistors in series with the power supply pins.
When the amplifier draws more current when driving a load, then the resistors have a voltage drop.
The voltage drop is used to turn on power transistors that allow higher supply voltage and lower speaker impedance for higher output power.
I just don't understand how a 2.2 Ohm resistor is supposed to do that since the 2030 is basically a 3A part....? Doesn't leave any extra for base drive to the external power devices.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The man is correct about one thing, the absolute max ratings are +/-18V and you are crazy to go above +/-16V. I don't know where the +/-22V they are using in the schematic came from.

Another reason this design was never built and tested as shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.